Author Topic: BOM Anyone? yikes!!!!  (Read 27999 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: BOM Anyone? yikes!!!!
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2013, 08:18:24 pm »
I knew we had more than statics in common Bill. I'm a former bass master myself.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2013, 08:26:02 pm »
Great     8)  ............next time we meet we'll have lot's to talk about.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2013, 08:33:22 pm »
Sweet!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2013, 09:11:03 pm »
BOM to me is an opinionated result from voting IMO.......LOL.Some people like it simple.Some people like it characterish.Some people like it curvy.Some people like it artsy along with it.When I look at a bow myself I look for it to be spot on tiller.Unbraced showing little stress.That's tillering IMO.When a bow is not shown showing a good side view of it at rest it won't get my vote.That's a bow well shot in and having hours & hours of extended brace time.Broke in.I always lean toward hunting weight bows.That's just me.I imagine the work put into a bow when I look at it knowing how far advanced my skills are and if I see something I know I'd have a hard time doing for functionality but like it I vote for it.Giving credit where credit is due in my world.Archery is a broad sport so the opinions are broad too.Guess I'm as guilty as a lot of you for not entering more bows.It's hard to unravel a cut and dried solution for the individual entering while keeping in mind we are all together making natural material bows and do need to support the PA.Even though my subscription lately the last year has been badly delayed....but that's a different subject.This all is just my opinion.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline adb

« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2013, 09:21:28 pm »
I stopped participating in BOM when I learned it was mandatory to have a PA subscription to enter. I had a subscription to PA, but I sometimes found it had articles I wasn't interested in. So, I let my subscription expire and now I just purchase editions off the news stand when I see an article I want to read.

As it turns out, I rarely miss buying an edition. Also, I had a lot of trouble getting my subscription mags in the mail. Missed editions, no return of emails... I was frustrated. I found it easier and more convenient to buy it off the stand. So, I'm still supporting the mag, but I don't have a subscription. BOM has become BS in my opinion, and by the looks of it, other people think the same. You asked.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2013, 09:36:13 pm »
again just one mans opinion .....
but, adb....I get the electronic version of the mag and have had no trouble with it..  I believe I joined for three years for 25 bucks at the classic and if you couldn't make the classic they carried the opportunity for a few months on line ... 25 bucks for three years is unbelievable, you must have a better excuse??

I agree with Pat B it's a small price to pay for what you can get out of it even if you don't participate completely in all.  If PA is not supported it will not be around to even read this site.  many sites don't even let you read without being a member.  A big thanks to PA for that.
Just one mans opinion,
DBar

Offline adb

« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2013, 09:50:55 pm »
again just one mans opinion .....
but, adb....I get the electronic version of the mag and have had no trouble with it..  I believe I joined for three years for 25 bucks at the classic and if you couldn't make the classic they carried the opportunity for a few months on line ... 25 bucks for three years is unbelievable, you must have a better excuse??

I agree with Pat B it's a small price to pay for what you can get out of it even if you don't participate completely in all.  If PA is not supported it will not be around to even read this site.  many sites don't even let you read without being a member.  A big thanks to PA for that.
Just one mans opinion,
DBar

Did you not read my entire post? I buy the mag off the news stand.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2013, 10:00:07 pm »
Oops
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 10:08:01 pm by Danzn Bar »

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2013, 10:03:44 pm »
Definitely, not being argumentative , If you join electronically you could enter BOM.  I thought that was the issue.   :-[ ??? :-[

Offline adb

« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2013, 10:09:41 pm »
No... the issue for me is... I support the mag like everyone else. I just do it by purchasing off the news stand. I don't feel that's fair treatment for BOM. Not a biggie, but Mr Chicken Hawk asked.  ;)

Offline Weylin

« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2013, 10:12:18 pm »
I had a bow to enter I just never got around to posting the pictures.  :-\

As for my opinion on the contest... I like the idea of it. It feels like fairly fun good-natured competition for the most part. I think it is true that it is biased towards the fancier/prettier bows for the most part but that seems only natural because all we can do is see  pictures of them. It's hard to fully judge a bow by photos alone so I guess I always just shrugged my shoulders and accepted the idea that people were at least partly judging the bows based on the finish work and presentation. Is it totally fair, not really, but it seems like its fairly unavoidable. Something I've noticed is that the bigger names who consistently produce masterpieces don't enter anymore. I'm sure they feel self-conscious about winning over and over and just want to give everyone else a chance. Can't say I blame them. I'd like to see more entries so the contest felt more robust but I think trying to make the contest into a perfectly fair, objective and unbiased contest that takes into account all aspects of bow making perfectly evenly is a bit of a fools errand. Better, in my opinion, for us to be more honest about what the contest really is and be ok with that.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2013, 10:14:28 pm »
adb
I may be wrong ...............anyone who knows am I right?  if you get the mag electronically can you enter BOM?? don't know myself never entered.  I kinda feel the same it can be a popularity contest.
DBar

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2013, 10:15:43 pm »
I got the 3 year emag subscription also.  It was well worth the price.  Shoot, just being able to enjoy this site for three years is well worth what I paid.

I have entered the BOM since I got the emag subscription
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

blackhawk

« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2013, 10:17:49 pm »
For those that wanted to know I haven't entered a bow since February 2012...  :-X

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2013, 10:20:18 pm »
What's that about the pot calling the kettle black?  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left