Author Topic: HELP my bow has a crack in it!  (Read 4316 times)

Offline Predictable

HELP my bow has a crack in it!
« on: October 15, 2013, 05:50:37 pm »
my bow that i made out of a red oak board has a crack in the back. it is bending atm, but the crack is visible. i have a fiberglass backing on it and the crack looks like a line when the bow is unstrung, but when i string it up again it is a visible crack. please i do not want to scrap this, i spent a long time on it b/c i do not have any power tools.

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

Re: HELP my bow has a crack in it!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 05:57:05 pm »
Unfortunately there is irony in your handle as red oak board bows are predictable in that they will almost always eventually crack.  Does the crack run up and down with the grain, or sideways against it?  if it runs with the grain, you may be able to get a little more life out of it by wrapping it with a f/g patch.  if it is against the grain I'd call it  a loss. Either way, I'd get a good hickory, elm or osage stave and get started on a stave bow. They will outlast a board bow and look much better!  best of luck! no sense stopping with one bow anyhow!  No need to power tool when building primitive bows anyhow. welcome to the addiction. You break one you build one!
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 06:11:37 pm »
A good hatchet or machete and rasp are all you need to get a bow done in a good two days work, no need for band saws and belt sanders.

+1 twistedlimbs. I'd also suggest getting some artificial sinew (or real sinew, it's better), it's a very useful and versatile material you could use to repair a grain-following crack.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 06:12:11 pm »
If it was my bow I'd trash it and also I don't have power tools either. I agree with everything said by twistedlimbs
I like osage

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 06:14:02 pm »
will you post pics of the crack and where it is in the bow?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 07:51:23 pm »
 Get a decent hickory stave, rough it out with a hatchet (1hr) draw knife the limbs down to about 3/4 of an inch thick and file down to about 5/8 and rough out the handle (1 hr.) Cut out width of bow to the width you want. W a draw knife and sharp chisel. (2 hrs). Finish out the whole bow w a finer file to within 1/8 of final dimentions and floor tiller (2hr)
I am sure some of the pros could do it faster. I only have 12 bows under my belt but giver her a shot. ;)
BTW,
I do them in pairs so if one doesn't work out ya got a backup. ::) Voice of experience :laugh:

Been there done it.  :)

Offline Predictable

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 08:18:20 pm »
will you post pics of the crack and where it is in the bow?
heres the crack and its position on the bow

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 08:25:52 pm »
Looks like an ender.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 08:30:04 pm »
That happened to me on my first bow last year.  I sighed a deep sigh and tossed it in the rafters for a while and when I was emotionally ready I threw it on the fire.  I had spent countless hours on that bow.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 08:31:29 pm »
That bow is a goner. Sorry man, send it off with a funeral pyre and build a new one. If you didnt have fglass on there the bow would be in two pieces already

Offline Predictable

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 08:31:57 pm »
That happened to me on my first bow last year.  I sighed a deep sigh and tossed it in the rafters for a while and when I was emotionally ready I threw it on the fire.  I had spent countless hours on that bow.
i spent so much time on this, i even shot a couple arrows through it and i was literally thinking: all i gotta do is stain and seal it and im done, i have made my first bow, wow. i feel like a pile of shit at the moment.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 08:44:55 pm »
Don't.  If you build others, and it sounds like you will, you'll get one done and forget this one.  Hate to get one that close and lose it, but there's lots more to make.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 08:48:00 pm »
i used to get devastated if I broke one.  it's small potatoes, build a new one you'll love even more. Just go with a stave this time now that you have the basics down
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 08:52:09 pm »
i spent so much time on this, i even shot a couple arrows through it and i was literally thinking: all i gotta do is stain and seal it and im done, i have made my first bow, wow. i feel like a pile of shit at the moment.
I know how you feel man.  I was already fantasizing about all the great hunting trips were going to go on but in the final stages of tillering it popped a splinter.  I wasn't terribly devastated after hearing great bowyers tell about breaking their first ten bows.  The best medicine is to grab another piece of wood and start again.  You're already ahead of the curve!
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 10:33:20 pm »
Is that Titebond glue over fiberglass mesh?  It looks like the crack is only at the surface and does not extend down into the wood.  You might be able to sand off the backing in that area (3 inches to either side of the crack) and re-apply the mesh and more Titebond.  Scrape down the material to see how far the crack goes down.  You might not even need to replace the mesh.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr