Author Topic: HELP my bow has a crack in it!  (Read 4317 times)

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
Re: HELP my bow has a crack in it!
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 10:35:07 pm »
Hey, it is an addiction. If that was mine and I really wanted to save it, do anything to save it even if it broke again because at least you tried, I would get a hickory backing that was pretty thick 1/8 or 2/8" (really whatever I thought was sufficient) and I would back it. It is the back that is broken, so make a new back! Of course you would have to rip the tape off and sand the back and wait for the glue, etc. But I bet it would make you feel better and more interested in this. Other guys may say it's done, but I think as long as it is somewhat together, I could make something out of it! After this I say go to staves if they are available. It may be a ton of work, but the back is flat so that helps with gluing surfaces. Try it if you want. Hope that makes you feel better!!
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 10:43:59 pm »
An as weird as it sounds, it gets easier if any brake or pull a splinter because it is really not a ton of sweat for something so beautiful and something so cool because only a small percentage of people even know how to make a legitimate bow. Just keep on making! Where do u live? If you are by OK I could show you a little better how to make a bow out of a stave. I may even have a stave of osage for you if you could swing by.
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 06:52:44 am »
Tough luck,that is why I always tell beginners ,don't fall in love with that piece of wood, it's only wood not you wife or girl friend, it will and does sometimes break your heart. The only way to get over it is get started on another. I think I broke 7 before I got a shooter.  :) Still do from time to time,man needs fire wood also. ;) :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 10:38:08 am »
Cut the bow in half  just after the handle on the side where the limb is cracked. Make the remaining limb and handle into an atlatl. Not all is lost.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 11:11:50 am »
My "first" bow was that type of design, also.  That is...before I found this website.  It shot for a bit, then it chrysled badly from a poor tiller.  I didn't have stave access so I went to building maple or hickory backed ipe bows...english longbow style.  Broke about 8 being in a big rush then got a couple of shooters.  They were ok but could fling in arrow!

Ordered my first stave online (hackberry) and didn't sand out all the little tool marks from the back.  Well, it lifted a splinter eventually.  Found a mentor and got a piece of Osage.  Took my time, sanded it well.  It lasted for years before developing a little splinter at a pin knot.  It isn't really lifted or broken...but that bow is retired, because really...THAT was my first true bow.

It's a process, enjoy the ride, and remember arrows are just as important as the bow...maybe more!
1’—>1’

Offline Predictable

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 02:20:30 am »

sorry guys for posting again so late, but i thought it may have been worth mentioning that the crack goes into the wood less than 1 mm, but its in the wood none the less. dont worry about telling me "nope, no difference at all, your bows gone" because i am done with it, i got over it now after thinking about it for so long, so this was just on my mind.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 08:14:19 am »
Hadn't notice it was glass backed,thought it would be better here,should read closer. :o ???  ;) :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good