Author Topic: Self nocks on bamboo backed warbows gettin crushed/split, etc...  (Read 3251 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Anybody else have any problems with self nocks on bamboo backed warbows? Once I get to like 80# - 100# the nocks just get crushed, or they start to split the bamboo. It is worse when my nocks are too deep, and it seems to be the hitch knot that usually does it, maybe the hitch might be a big part of the problem? It is kind of annoying, because if I have to the horn nocks first, than I don't know which one to make the top or bottom nock, because I don't know which limb is stronger, etc. Plus, I can't pike it if I want to if I have to get it nocked just to tiller. I am thinking about maybe even doing temporary overlays.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline adb

Re: Self nocks on bamboo backed warbows gettin crushed/split, etc...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 02:07:40 am »
I don't use bamboo anymore as a backing. Too labour intensive for me, and too unpredictable.

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 04:00:44 am »
Just cut yourself some small wedges of wood. 1/4 wide x 1/2 long and an 1/8th to 3/16ths thick.
Grind them so you have a wedge.
Superglue to the back and then lash on with strong cord.
Soak cord in superglue.
Remove when you want to fit horn nocks.
You'll never have a problem with this method. :)

Adb - what do you find unpredictable about bamboo?
I'm going the other way and am prefering bamboo over hickory, mainly because we only get the junk hickory boards here in the UK....trying to buy straight grained hickory is like trying to buy rocking horse ....

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 10:57:16 am »
Just cut yourself some small wedges of wood. 1/4 wide x 1/2 long and an 1/8th to 3/16ths thick.
Grind them so you have a wedge.
Superglue to the back and then lash on with strong cord.
Soak cord in superglue.
Remove when you want to fit horn nocks.
You'll never have a problem with this method. :)

Adb - what do you find unpredictable about bamboo?
I'm going the other way and am prefering bamboo over hickory, mainly because we only get the junk hickory boards here in the UK....trying to buy straight grained hickory is like trying to buy rocking horse ....

It's too dry for bamboo where I live. It cracks and checks easily. People look at longitudinal drying checks, and they freak cuz they think their bow is 'broken!' It also seems to be prone to lifting splinters, even if I don't  touch the back. It's also a pain getting the node spacing reasonable. Making something flat that starts out round is also more labour intensive than I'd like. I have good access to quality backing materials like maple, hickory, ash, etc. They're much easier to work and way more predictable.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 01:36:22 pm »
After ragging on bamboo in another thread, I've actually been having a good deal of success with it. I was having failures before (all warbows, 71" - 74" NTN, so not the least stressed designs at all), but I think the backing might of been too thin, as my breaks were in the thinnest spots between the nodes. I was following the common recommendation of getting the edges of the bamboo knife blade thin previously. Now I don't go under a 1/16". I think thicker bamboo can crush and chrysal a belly, but I also think going too thin will weaken it. I guess I do change my mind a lot, so I am sure next week I will be condemning it again, lol.  ;D
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 02:28:59 pm »
Bamboo is great stuff... probably the best backing there is, but for me, it's just too iffy.