Author Topic: help me fletch with Duco  (Read 5740 times)

Offline aaron

help me fletch with Duco
« on: October 17, 2013, 10:37:26 pm »
I have fletched dozens of arrows with "regular" contact cement. It worked great. But I recently bought a tube of Duco, and I can't get it to work. With contact cement,I put the feather in my jig, then I lay a good bead of cement on the feather, then press the feather to the shaft. I immediately remove the feather and let both parts dry for about 1-3 min. then I reapply the feather and it stays put for years. If I do this with duco the feather doesn't stick well to the shaft , almost falls off. What am I doing wrong?
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Adam

Re: help me fletch with Duco
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 10:40:08 pm »
What type of finish is on your shafts?  I don't think Duco is compatible with all finishes.

Offline aaron

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 10:41:06 pm »
it's a polyurethane
Ilwaco, Washington, USA

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 11:32:44 pm »
AAron,
           I've used duco in the past during my trad years and never had a problem but I would always run a good bead and once I slid my clamp down I wouldn't remove it for 15min. or more. Sometimes I would take a couple of days for a dozen because I would put a feather on when I passed by during the day. No harm meant but I never heard of removing the clamp during the drying process. I think that may be your problem with this kind of glue.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 12:54:43 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 11:45:44 pm »
Duco takes while to cure out. Give it 15 to 30 minutes before removing the clamp.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Salvador 06

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 01:45:40 am »
Don't take the clamp right away, it doesn't work like other contact cements.  Leave it until it dries enough to stay.  I leave the clamp for about 10-15  minutes before moving to the next feather, and let all fletchings dry overnight before they're used. 
Proudly subscribed to this magazine since 1994

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 09:17:43 am »
Duco does take much longer to dry and I dont remove the clamp.  After doing this for years, I changed to fletch tape and use the duco on front and rear to hold them down as insurance and to protect my hand. 
Russ

Offline aaron

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 11:23:01 am »
thanks, guys
Ilwaco, Washington, USA

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 01:59:47 pm »
Yeah, it's not a contact cement at all. Just have to be patient and let it cure.

FAW

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 08:57:16 am »
Duco is my favourite glue but we can't get it any more here. As said already, Duco needs the fifteen minutes in a clamp to set up.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 01:40:48 pm »
It's getting scarcer to find, but Jim and Brenda at The Nocking Point have always had it. http://thenockingpoint.com/products2.htm#arrowbuilding Great folks and good service.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 09:27:43 pm »
Family Dollar has Duco at a good price.

Jim
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine