Author Topic: Another Crazy Badger Idea  (Read 38397 times)

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
Re: Another Crazy Badger Idea
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2013, 12:18:10 am »
I think a chapter on care and maintenance of woodworking tools included making some of our own tools would be good. I would be happy to contribute to this. I had a series of  tool articles in another archery magazine (the bowyers journal) that would be a good base to start from.
45# at 27"

Offline PatM

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2013, 12:27:51 am »
We really need a composite/wood bow showdown chapter.
 No more theory and machine shot composites with big numbers and zero presence on the salt flats.
 I'm talking to you Adam. ;)

Offline Aussie Yeoman

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2013, 06:06:39 am »
Badger,

I think this is a good idea. Personally I'd think it a better read if the chapters were discreet parcels with the character of the author shining through rather than an amalgamated and ironed smooth continuous narrative.

Personally, I would be most enthusiastic in contributing a chapter on Australian bow woods, as these timbers are far too under-appreciated.

And/or, I could write an introductory chapter on using mathematics and geometry along with bend tests to make bows. I was amazed by the articles by Nagler, Hickman and Klopsteg in Archery: The Technical Side, and have for many years wanted to revive this numeric art. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but neither are composite bows or multi-laminate wood bows or sinew backed bows. I believe that as I am not naturally a mathematical person, I am able to communicate the concepts at an everyman's level. You can read a couple of examples here:
http://ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5450
http://ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=13765

Alternatively, I did my honors thesis on the adoption of the bow and arrow technology in Ancient Mesoamerica. That could be adapted, I think.

One thing I think was really missing from TBB was a good chapter on how to actually shoot the things. I know they were Bowyer's Bibles and not Archer's Bibles, and I do know how to shoot, but I think a lot of people may have been left to flounder on their own after finally having made a brilliant selfbow.

Articles for the beginning bowyer, with Australian bowyers in mind:

http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/articles/tutorials

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2013, 06:07:43 am »
Sounds like a good idea to me. I'd be happy to contibute if asked as I enjoy writing and I can certainly relate to the ethos of sharing and how this forum has enhanced my repertoire of skills.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2013, 06:13:22 am »
Also I have two big shelves full of various jigs/bending devices/feather burners/arrow splicers etc....I'm sure others have come up with ingenious ways to fix 'problems' and it would be very interesting and useful to see what people have come up with.
Maybe a chapter on making arrow shafts from boards might be useful too.
I like the idea of a chapter on jigs, tools etc.
It would help to prevent repetion in the other chapers where people drift off into describing their own fixtures and jig...
They could still write about 'em, but they could all be pulled into one chapter.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Badger

« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2013, 08:32:16 am »
  Aussie, I would really look forward to seeing a work by you. As a matter of fact I would need your help on something I am working on as well. Maybe you could just incorporate that.

Del, I like you idea as well with grouping the tools in one chapter, seperate them out into scrapers, rasps, cawls etc. Lots of unique combinations that have evolved on these sites.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2013, 08:52:25 am »
Sounds like a great Idea Steve,looking forward to seeing it come together. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2013, 10:13:09 am »
I nominate Gordon!  >:D  It would be great if he put together a piece about all his finish work techniques. I know the little bit that I have gleaned from him in person and from his build-alongs have vastly improved my finish work. This is a great idea, Steve. We have a lot of great knowledge here.

Shoot, here's another vote for gordon. That guy makes a really nice selfbow, and his buildalongs are fantastic, most definitely publish worthy IMO.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2013, 11:07:42 am »
Go for it Steve !!!!
As long as you are heading it up it won't fail !
I nominate Blackhawk, Del, and Gordon to help !
Throw JW in there for fun !
Get it done !
Time is a wasting and We ain't getting any younger you know !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2013, 11:30:11 am »
I think it is a great Idea.
Some ideas for Chapters.
A few Chapters by the Old Heads around here.  Guys that have been building bow forever. You Badger, PatB, Mark St.Louis, George T. and Eric K. fit this bill.

A few Chapters buy guys that have been building bows for a while and have mastered the craft.  Osage Outlaw, Blackhawk and Pearl Drums them kind of guys.

A chapter or two from Greenhorns that have made no more than 10 bows but are turning out very good work.  Cant think of any names for this one????  Somebody help me out.

And Last.  A chapter written by the Twin Oaks Crew.  How total greenhorns, with instruction, become compant bowers. They have seen more of this than anyone else.  And I am sure there are plenty of good writers at Twin Oaks that could put a fine cheaper together.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2013, 11:43:40 am »
it seems like a major head ache to me but i would definitely read it!!!!!!!!!! I think we need some very experienced dudes tp get some hard facts and tips. in contrast, very experienced dudes tend to make opinions. we need some people just getting into it that dont have tons of opinions. maybe some less experienced people that have made a few bows in too. theat way we get the whole spectrum and connect with everyone that reads and be able to teach better. i would make it a book of tips/tricks, how to and where to get stuff/use it, and other questions that are odd but people run into on here. dont make it a book, make it a interactive thing like this. it should relate to people and not be like a normal how to book, it should be odd stuff that people run into that isnt the "take it down to one growth ring..." crap. everyone makes books like that. maybe even copy som of the questions on here. i iwould love to read it! good luck!
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline adb

« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2013, 11:49:56 am »
 No more theory and machine shot composites with big numbers and zero presence on the salt flats.

Thanks, PatM. Backed flatbows, tri-lam ELBs and backed warbows are my thing... and I would be more than happy to share the knowledge I have with whoever is interested!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2013, 01:29:55 pm »

Well Pat, you've been a member of PA for as long as I can remember with a fair bit of experience under your belt so maybe you should put your money where your mouth is   ;)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2013, 01:34:28 pm »
  We have had some great feedback on this so far, I am feeling a lot more encouraged. I guess the next step is to wait and see how PA feels about using thier site here to organize this and what part they would be interested in playing in it.

The feedback is extremely important because we are the readers, we know what we would like to see in print. Logisticaly this could be a nightmare but it doesn't have to be. We will have to put it together in steps, the most important step I feel is the vision of what we would like this book to accomplish. We have the skill and experience here to produce a real masterpiece, one that will hopefully be looked at for generations to come. We may have more than one book worth writing. How well we are able to pull together and then buckle down will determine our success.

My suggestion would be that we run it similar to a bow of the month contest, but instead of selectiong one contestant we select maybe 12.  Each prospective author will write a short essay on what he would like to write about and PA members vote, I would suggest we have at least 5 or 6 alternate writers as well in case for some reason it doesn't come together for someone. Once the authors are selected by voting they could come together in a private web site and select the editors, photo editors, advisers etc. Amoungst themselves they would select a committee of maybe 4 or 5 who would make the final decisions on what went into print. The committee would not neccessarily have to be authors. I would think that one year would be a very reasonable time limit to have something ready for print, hopefully a bit sooner.

I know we can make this happen!

Offline Aussie Yeoman

« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2013, 04:35:36 pm »
Hi Badger,

I'd be happy to help with your side project or whatever it is. Let me know via PM or something.

I think it would be better if the driving committee was not made wholly of the authors. A film is not produced by actors, or acted by script writers. I'm sure some people here are much better at project managing, some better at editing, some at photo manipulation etc than others.

You mention there might be more than one book. Quite so. Perhaps it could be an annual, or biennial (every two years). Either that or it would end up being a 400 page behemoth. I'd probably buy that too, but it would limit the market due to sale price.

I appreciate people wanting to see chapters by people of varying levels of experience. For my money, if I were buying a book to learn a skill, I'd want it to have been written by people with a depth of experience I could not gain within the year unless I devoted myself most diligently. Perhaps a chapter written by a few of the authors about their journey in bowyery; how their approaches, philosophies and techniques changed from bowyer pup to head of the pack. Just a couple of pages from each.

Dave
Articles for the beginning bowyer, with Australian bowyers in mind:

http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/articles/tutorials