Author Topic: Another Crazy Badger Idea  (Read 38381 times)

Offline PatM

Re: Another Crazy Badger Idea
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2013, 04:49:36 pm »
I'm trying to remember which board volume 4 was started on. Was it here or PP?  Curious why PA was selected. I'm wondering if PP may be a better board to toss the idea around given thatt it's not associated with a publication that may or may not want to be involved.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2013, 04:56:14 pm »
Only down side I can see ,since you are in for all the hard work , with all you experts out writing this book It will leave all the Questions on the forum to a few of us backwoods country boys (that can barely read let along write  )   :laugh:
You may want to consider recording any get togethers you have, the videos could pay for the expenses !! :laugh: :laugh:
Have fun Steve !!
I am sure it will be worth the work !

Pat
I am sure if PA doesn't want it , there will be folks standing in line to collect on this one !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Badger

« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2013, 05:14:30 pm »
   I agree with you on the videos.  David, good feedback, as for myself I appreciate the personalities involved here and what the sport has given us in return. As you say we don't need a bunch of 30 page chapters. I would hope for about 400 pages with some good quality photo work. Personally I would like to contribute but I don't think I need a chapter to do that. I wouldn't mind teaming up with Dave on a few issues I would like to see addressed. There are also a few people that don't hang out here like Gary Anderson for one that might have some good input. Myself I am a poor writer and basicaly just a backyard bow builder but I have a huge amount of energy I would be willing to devote to keeping this project alive, I really believe in it.

Offline adb

« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2013, 05:18:02 pm »
Another topic, or 'chapter' could be on the challenges of being a professional bowyer. Let's face it, many of us here do this for a living, and in doing so, have learned a great deal along the way. Many of the things I have learned, have made me a better bow maker. One of the most popular things I do is teach others to make a bow, either one on one, or in a group setting. Doing is one thing... but doing and teaching has been rewarding and developmental for me.

Offline Badger

« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2013, 05:40:17 pm »
  ADB, Thats an excellent suggestion and one that come up often.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2013, 05:41:23 pm »
Sounds like a great idea from here Steve.Looking forward to this all come together.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2013, 06:02:16 pm »
Another topic, or 'chapter' could be on the challenges of being a professional bowyer. Let's face it, many of us here do this for a living, and in doing so, have learned a great deal along the way. Many of the things I have learned, have made me a better bow maker. One of the most popular things I do is teach others to make a bow, either one on one, or in a group setting. Doing is one thing... but doing and teaching has been rewarding and developmental for me.

Adam, I like that also. That's the feeling I get when someone I've worked with all day or weekend leaves with a bow that shoots  and he has something in his hand he can show his/hers friends that they made.

It is also usually a learning experience for me also. I love it when someone with no hands on knowledge will ask me if maybe this will work and all I can say is, "I don't know, let's see?". It's only wood and usually my wood so they don't have to worry about breaking the only piece they have. And it also gives them more sense of being involved with designing "their', and trying new ideas without worrying.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Poggins

« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2013, 06:29:31 pm »
I like the idea of an annual or biannual book because a lot changes in a short time and to stuff everything into one book would be tough without it getting too big .

Offline PatM

« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2013, 07:07:07 pm »
Something like the" Archer's Digest" would be a good idea. Not sure how often those come out but a type of "yearbook" seems like a good idea so it can constantly be refreshed and updated.
 I know that there is or was similar books like "Arms and Armor" and "Guns and Ammo" that followed a similar idea.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2013, 07:45:35 pm »
I think this is a great idea and long overdue. Good onya Badger!... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2013, 08:08:43 pm »
Great Idea Badger!  This may even get big enough that we could apply for a federal grant....when they get up and running again! ;)  I haven't made nearly as many bows as some on the forum but I'd be happy to put in my two cents in where needed.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2013, 08:25:39 pm »
If this does evolve into a book put out every year there could be a list of clubs and events around that they could check into ( the classic , MOJAM , and OJAM for starters and I'm sure there is a big list ).

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2013, 11:59:32 pm »
This is a very great idea. I'd like to help however I can.  Steve, "Crazy Badger Ideas" got us to where we are today.  ;)  Lets share what we have learned in the last 10 years with the "next generation".    8)   
  Look how far we've come in the last 25 years. Can't wait to see what the next 25 will bring.....and yes, I plan to be there!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Aussie Yeoman

« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2013, 03:57:22 am »
I'd be hesitant to advertise upcoming events because so very many readers will be paying for information they cannot possibly use: they will not be able to go to the events. I'd be disappointed to buy a book that was not 'timeless', even if the actual techniques become dated.
Articles for the beginning bowyer, with Australian bowyers in mind:

http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/articles/tutorials

Offline RyanR

« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2013, 06:33:27 am »
I think this is a really good idea. Someone mentioned chapters on different bow styles. That would be very helpful.