Author Topic: New Atlatl  (Read 5439 times)

Offline finefirewood

New Atlatl
« on: October 22, 2013, 11:32:19 am »
Just started this atlatl. Found a limb with interesting twist due to a vine growing around it and had to get it! It's a little short (about 16" usable from spur to end), but I couldn't pass it up. The vine pretty much killed the limb, but it's not cracked.

I plan to carve the spur into antlers leading into a deer skull at the back end since there is so much mass back there. Hopefully it will come out like I see it in my head! I'll update the progress as I can get to it.

Thanks for looking.
Making ordinary wood into fine firewood one stick at a time!

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
Re: New Atlatl
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 11:02:33 pm »
Very good choice for an interesting, mostly made atlatl. cant wait to see it all finished!
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 11:50:43 pm »
I'm watching this!  ;)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline finefirewood

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 09:16:39 am »
Haven't had a chance to do much with it yet, but I know I'm going to have to use carving burrs to get it roughed out. I tried using a knife, but it's too hard. I'm not sure what type of wood it is, but because it's dry, it's like a rock! Not primitive, but I'm sure Dremel would have been a big business back then if they existed! Hopefully I'll be able to get to it this weekend and provide some progress pics.

Thanks.
Making ordinary wood into fine firewood one stick at a time!

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 11:17:15 pm »
Awesome piece of wood!  Cant wait to see what you come up with!!
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 10:44:51 am »
I was hoping to see this finished
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!