Author Topic: Wiggly elm stave tiller advice.  (Read 1248 times)

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
Wiggly elm stave tiller advice.
« on: October 22, 2013, 02:58:29 pm »
Hey guys,
I want some advice on how to proceed.  I'm shooting for 50#@26 and I'm at around #50@24".   It's 66" I think.  I don't mind if it comes in under either.  Heat treated elm, about 2 inches wide at fades.  I've included unbraced profiles and all that buisiness.
How is it looking so far? 

I used to have this guy shooting at 60#@26 and it was about 3 inches longer.  The handle kept seperated because I did a handle glue on with titebond and had a lot of gaps.  I've re-glued the handle with epoxy and it seems to be working great, so Now I just need to re-tiller.  60# was also to much for me at the time. 

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Wiggly elm stave tiller advice.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 03:04:48 pm »
Your tiller doesn't look too bad. Your handle issue stems from the lack of prominent fades. Something has to stop the bending besides the glue in the handle. Try to leave your handle area 1 1/4" deep or so, then add on more if need be to deepen it more. That will give you solid fades and no handle popping.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 04:58:09 pm »
Yeah, this was from about a year w, it should have been a bendy handle because there wasn't enough wood. I've since learned my lesson (i think) the epoxy seems to have solved the problem

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 05:09:18 pm »
Bubbles a good way to beat that is with cork. You can buy cork slats cheap. I glue them on with wood glue. You can shape the cork with a rasp and sandpaper to make a working, bulbous type grip. It allows the center of the bow to work and you still get a nice grip for your bow hand.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 09:53:45 pm »
Yeah, that's a good idea, thanks pearl.  Ill try to do that on my next bendy handle. Gotta find some cork.