Author Topic: ANY THOUGHTS  (Read 9546 times)

Offline artcher1

Re: ANY THOUGHTS
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 07:29:06 pm »
Grooves were scratched/carved in them by some NA tribes Ed. For whatever reason isn't totally clear, at least to me. Lightening bolts were probably painted on for semblance, religious or other reasons. With their gear bared to the elements, I'm sure it was a constant struggle to keep anything straight. Well seasoned arrow shafts/bow staves would have given them an edge in that department IMO........Art

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 10:29:18 pm »
Doesn't quite apply Art.  The Dogwood I have is nearly 10 years old, well seasoned I would think
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline artcher1

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 08:07:07 am »
Marc, if you want to send me some of the dogwood I would be happy to straighten a few for you to see if I have any better luck. May be the straightening process I use. For one, I do NO hand straightening what so ever. Strictly heat and compression.

I just checked six sourwood I recently made and straighten. They've been in my rack for about a month now. Three were marked '06 and three marked '12. The ones marked '06 are dead straight after only one session. Other three will need more work.............Art

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 02:36:50 pm »
  Thanks for all the input.

I've made dozzens and dozzens and more dozzens of shoot arrowS. All kinds exspecially dog woods and have made and store them all in my shop some for years. These wer'nt new first year shoots these were 2,3 year old shoots maybe older. They'ed been seasoning pushing a year. I've make dog wood shafts thats seasoned less.  Dog wood makes a fine arrow shaft. I'VE BEEN MAKEING THEM 14,15 YEARS. After staighting,sealing dog wood stays straight. I've store them in my shop bitter cold straight through to hot,hummit summers here in WV. FOR YEARS NEVER HAD THIS HAPPEN BEFORE.
  THE ONLY THINK I DID DIFFERENT WAS WHEN I FINISHED THEM I HAD OTHER THINGS TO FINISH AND SEND WITH THEM. I packaged them in 2 inch pvc pipe to send them in. The first time for pvc I've always used cardboard tubes. In all ,by the time I'd finished put trade points on them and stored them to he got them was a couple 3 weeks.
            I THINK MAYBE BIGFOOT GOT AHOLD OF THEM AND DID IT OR SOMETHING.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline artcher1

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 10:07:53 am »
By your own words, you say you leave your arrows out in your shop more or less exposed to temp/humidity swings. Wood doesn't quit shrinking to around 6% M/C, so a change in these conditions is probably the culprit.

Next time throw a wet towel in your shipping tube Roy! >:D   Art