Author Topic: Second deer for two skins  (Read 1898 times)

Offline armymedic.2

Second deer for two skins
« on: October 26, 2013, 06:51:55 pm »

On a crunchy leafy forest floor i found myself giving up on my midday stroll through the woods and overgrown trail system around a beaver pond.  The wind was really blowing hard, and though i thought it would be enough cover noise to make a stalk in the poor footing conditions, two very wise does had already told me otherwise.  As i angled up through the woods  to duck through my fence and reenter my pasture, horizontal movement caught my eye.
I froze and made out the form of a broadside deer at fifty yards.   She was feeding on the leaves of a rosebush, and to my delight had no idea i had just walked up.   I took a knee and surveyed my situation. She was feeding south of me, with a hard steady wind comming from the west.  Knowing my scent was safe i decided to wait and see if she would feed towards me. After ten minutes of feeding on this one bush, and with kids to pick up in an hour i decided it was time to get aggressive.  I duck walked as quietly as i could for fifteen yards, keeping a large oak in between us as i moved. Now with a clear shot at 35 yards i sat on my feet and waited for her to move. Too far to shoot and too close to blow it i found extra patience.   After a few more minutes she started to feed northeast toards me.     I slightly rose for a shot a couple of times, only for her front leg to come forward again. Finally at 25 yards she stopped moving and was perfectly broadside, nibbling on another bush.  I rose to my knees and pulled two skins to anchor, point on her spine, and released.  She fell at the shot, never hearing the string in the wind   I fear she was more like twenty yards which i thought was twenty five.  A short sprint and follow up let me take her with grace. And i readied the tobacco for my thanks and apologies as she expired.  I drug her to my pasture after thanks were given and went to grab my kids. My three year  old was waiting for me at the house and i gutted her while explaining everything.  I showed him the tenderloins and we decided to have "deer steak" for supper.   What a great day
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline armymedic.2

Re: Second deer for two skins
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 06:54:41 pm »
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 07:11:24 pm »
Nice shootin! And a great story! Thanks for sharing. Sounds like it was a great day for the whole family.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 01:29:44 am »
Two deer from the ground, now thats some seriously good and stealthy hunting. Your having a very memorable deer season with the bow, congrats.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 02:21:40 am »
Congratulations on a fine hunt.  That's what it's all about - being thankful and respectful.   They are special creatures and I appreciate your approach to the hunt. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 06:55:42 am »
Nice job,congrats. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good