Author Topic: First deer for two skins  (Read 2465 times)

Offline armymedic.2

First deer for two skins
« on: October 26, 2013, 07:09:59 pm »
I was hunting a thicket behind a peach orchard i had just gotten permission on.   Still hunting down the trails cut in for horseback riding, and getting the lay of the land. I had already seen a few deer but had been busted or too far to make a move.  Suddenly i caught the hind end of a deer standing still in the scrub oaks twenty yards to my right.  The moment i stopped she took off like a heart shot deer.  She crashed trough the oaks and for some reason broke left towards the trail in front of me
Without thinking at all i took ten running quick steps down the trail and began to draw as i stopped.  Before she hit the trail i began to draw and swing through her.
Now let me state this to be perfectly clear.   I do not shoot at running deer i do not know why i did what i did.   It felt as though i was watchin it happen.  Like the deer was connected to my broadhead from the moment i saw her. 
My draw hit anchor as she nosed into the trail and i swung through sending my arrow on a path into the opposite side of the trail. I watched in slow motion as my arrow slid through the scrub oaks on the far side of the trail as she cleared the trail and met my arrow twenty yards away.   A solid thunk noise confirmed what my eyes saw.  I stood in the trail takin it all in, oddly not surprised at all i had hit her until i really thought about it.  I jve never been so connected to a shot. I never considered shooting or not shooting.  I just watched it all happen. She was quartering away when the arrow struck, and it looked good but i waited a few moments anyway.  WHen i came to the spot i had hit her i found blood right away.   Thickening within a few yards.  Then i found me arrow in good shape, it slid back ou after going in about ten inches from the blood on it. The bloodtrail became a road, and even through the thicket i could see the blood on the ground and trees without even looking hard.  Sometimes from ten yards away.   
The shot entered in front of the hind quarter. Cutting the femoral, slicin the liver, and going up into the offside lung.   The trail was short and easy.   She came to test alongside a swamp, and as i knelt to spread tobacco in thanks i was filled with emotion. This bow was built from a tree i cut off my farm the previous spring.  Its handle and knot reinforcement made from braintanned buckskin i had made myself from one of the previous years deer life was good and i was a happy man. Why i shot tht arrow i will never know and i dont plan to do it again.  The only way i can describe the feeling, is a short moment of zen in the art of archery.
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline armymedic.2

Re: First deer for two skins
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 07:11:26 pm »
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Offline Mike Joe

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 12:53:29 am »
Great shot! I haven't been able to hunt big game with a Self bow yet, but one of these days I want to experience that feeling. Congratulations!
"Son, we don't really care how it looks, We want it to work." - John McPherson

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 01:18:04 am »
Great hunt and congrats on making the shot, you were in tune no doubt.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 12:36:54 pm »
I like the retelling. Thanks for inviting us along with you in this memorable hunt! Congrats!!

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 01:43:04 am »
Great story!  I could envision the entire thing as I read it.  I think we don't give our instinct enough credit.  When you're well practiced and trained acting on instinct can really impress your logical mind.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 06:51:34 am »
Nice job ,congrats,that feromal will put them down in a hurry. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good