Author Topic: A question about wood backings  (Read 3018 times)

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
A question about wood backings
« on: November 02, 2013, 03:34:47 pm »
So, I'm just wondering, obviously adding a good grained wood backing string to an otherwise questionably grained board will increase the safety factor.   My question is this - if you take a very straight grained board, ripped a 1/8" strip off of it, then glued it back on to the board where it was,  would this increase the safety of the back over just leaving the board as it is??   The backing strip is thinner and can bend much further without breaking, but does it act as a separate entity since it's been cut off and glued back on or would it behave just as it would if it were left as a whole board?  Assuming no perry reflex or other glue up fanciness.

Thanks,
Mike.

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: A question about wood backings
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 03:38:47 pm »
As long as the backing strip could slip and slide over the belly, it will retain all it's bendy behaviors.  But once it is glued back down, it is just the same as if it were never sawn off in the first place.

If you have a board with good grain you can rip off a backing strip, re-glue it with added reflex.  You can add a fair bit of potential performance, as I understand it. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 05:44:40 pm »
It will add some ,
Flip the strip end for end and it will add more integrity for sure !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 06:03:03 pm »
What Guy said!  Also be sure it is a tension strong board you use. Hickory for instance.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 06:29:04 pm »
Buckeye guy - Saw it off the back and then flip the "bottom" end for the "top" end of the board? The reverse of how you sawed it off? Just wondering why that adds an extra measure of safety?

And yes, let's assuming it's a tension strong board like hickory, nice and straight grained.  Good enough to make a bow on it's own, without backing. 

Offline bushboy

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 06:57:17 pm »
From what I've seen the backing strip does add a level of safety .not sure why?perhaps the added elastity to the glue line and or breaking the grain in that it desn't run all the way through the board any more,it's cross checked with the flip.I would go a fat 1/8" to avoid buckling and reduce it later.never tried self backing though.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 07:46:19 pm »
Bushboy is correct, Good call !
The glue line will breakup the grain lines some but if you flip it they are even more so !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 01:10:10 am »
if it's quarter sawn or rift sawn rip a backer off and flip it endo and it will help with the twist you sometimes get with that grain orientation
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹