Author Topic: Stringing Technique?  (Read 5033 times)

Offline TheDukesArchers

Stringing Technique?
« on: November 02, 2013, 06:12:15 pm »
Are there any videos/guides on how to string a war bow correctly with a double loop stringer? I can't seem to lift the bow high enough to be able to push the string on. Only pull 100lbs.

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Stringing Technique?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 10:40:36 pm »
What draw weight bow do you typically shoot? Maybe you should shorten your stringer? There isn't any technique or anything.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 11:55:21 pm »
Both feet on the stringer, spaced about a foot apart on either side of center. Start with your knees bent and right hand on the handle area (assuming your right handed), top of the bow to your left so the left hand can push the string out to the nock,  if the bow is starting higher than mid thigh the stringer is too long. Another possibility that occurs to me is that you may have the wrong string (didn't you say you bought this bow?). When you're pulling the bow as high as you can and sliding the string out how far I'd the center of the string from the handle? It will be higher than your brace before the bow puts it under tension but shouldn't be more than about 10" to get it strung (or isn't on any if mine).

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 07:57:04 am »
My other bow is a 40lb Ash longbow. I can't seem to push the string the 9 inches to the knock. It's really starting to defeat me.

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 09:57:35 am »
Your string is 9" shorter than the bow!!??? Your string is too short!!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 10:20:42 am »

:o What is going on anymore,  ;D. If you braced a bow with a string 9" shorter than the bow, the brace height would be, just a guess here, like 20" or something. The string should only be 3" shorter than the bow.

Offline adb

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 10:25:30 am »

:o What is going on anymore,  ;D. If you braced a bow with a string 9" shorter than the bow, the brace height would be, just a guess here, like 20" or something. The string should only be 3" shorter than the bow.

With FF, it should be about 2" shorter, or less.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 10:51:55 am »
Stop!
Measure the nock to nock distance (following the curve of any set) on your bow, then measure the length of that sting from loop to loop and tell us what it is.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO STRI G IT AGAIN until we know the string is not radically too short as you may well damage your bow.

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 11:28:49 am »
I have no clue as to what I'm doing here. The bow measures abut 80 inches, but I'm not sure of the string length. I bought the bow form a Hungarian bowyer for quite a low price, though it does seem decent enough. One end of the string came untied though, so I've had to tie my own loop.

Offline WillS

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 12:44:35 pm »
Oh dear. Was it the eBay seller who makes "Italian" yew warbows by the bucket load?

Take a pic of the knot you've made in the string, and measure how far the top loop is from the actual horn nock when the string is on the bow, pulled tight but not strung.

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 02:23:13 pm »
It was indeed. It's an Osage Orange Warbow, but for the price I payed I can't really complain.

Offline WillS

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 02:25:50 pm »
Fair enough.  But yeah, post a pic or two of the setup, it'll be far easier to help out that way. 

It's a combo of a few things, really - practice with the right technique, the right length string, the right type of string and a surprising amount of nerves.  The first time you brace a really heavy bow it's a bit nervy, you need to do it a couple of times before you stop worrying it's going to blow up in your face. 

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 02:34:16 pm »
I'm back at Uni right now so haven't got the bow.

Yes it's very nervy trying to brace it!!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 02:41:04 pm »
Do you know how to tie a bowyers knot? You can't just use any knot, or it will break, or slip. Be careful, don't hurt yourself, you could easily of pulled out your back or broke your bow you just bought by not knowing what you are doing.

With FF, it should be about 2" shorter, or less.

True, that still trips me up,  :).

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 01:55:30 pm »
I can't try again till I go back home from uni. Using my old recurve to train at the moment as it easily pulls 33.