Author Topic: Got some hickory pieces - help me decide which to cut up for backing strips  (Read 1477 times)

Offline kiltedcelt

So, I'm getting back into making bows and I have a couple pieces of ipe that I'd like to turn into hickory backed longbows. Also, I just want to have some hickory backing strips for other bow building projects. I have a piece of pretty questionable looking ash, and frankly a couple of the 1x pieces of hickory I have kinda look like they might be questionable too. Picking perfect boards is just one of those skills that I still need a lot of practice with. These boards (with the exception of one), were all ones that I felt were somewhat questionable at the time but figured I could get away with using them to make bows, especially because they were hickory. Anyway, here are the photos.

This is the one piece of lumber that I think will make good backing strips. It's plain-sawn and looks like it was mostly fairly parallel to the surface of the tree it was cut out of. Seems like I remember reading that rift-sawn might be a better choice, but I think if the grain is reasonably flat, even with plain-sawn lumber that it should still make decent backing strips. Correct me if I'm wrong of course.

First questionable board - I actually thought I might be able to get an unbacked bow out of this board, but I think the grain is too wavy with too many runoffs

Second questionable board

Straight grain on one side until that faint line I've drawn, then it begins to run off

Looks pretty straight along the side too

Fairly straight along the other side, but a bit of grain runoff

Some runoffs

Third questionable board

Looks pretty straight on this side though

Anyway, like I said, I'm not the best at picking boards. Is any of this salvageable for backing strips? The main thing is I want to get some backing strips for the two ipe longbows. If I could get backing strips out of one of these boards then maybe I could back the questionable hickory boards and the questionable bit of ash I have as well. I'm planning on hitting up the lumberyard again in a few days so I can probably do a better job of looking for boards then. Will hickory tolerate some minor runoffs when used for backing strips, just as a hickory board will make a selfbow even with some pretty serious runoffs? Thoughts, or suggestions?

Offline bow101

I would go for the last one.........
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline BowSlayer

I would go for the last one.........

+1
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline okie64

The first and the last board look like they will work to me. The first board that is plain sawn looks much worse than it actually is. Hickory rings are usually so thin that most plain sawn hickory has wavy looking grain like yours does but i bet it will work jusg fine. I cant help you on the ash as Ive never worked much with ash boards for bows.