Author Topic: Texas boys i need an answer!!  (Read 12907 times)

Offline 4dog

Texas boys i need an answer!!
« on: November 03, 2013, 01:47:08 pm »
ive asked thos question on another site getting nothing.. who NEEDS to get a hunting license in texas as in safety course bow or rifle
.i see this date of 1971 ..and it says AFTER or something or other..so my question is at 47 am i supposed to take this class ..im not the only person i know confused by this so help me out..and you can call me a numbskull if you like..thank yall.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Bearded Mountain Man

• Waxhaw Survival Ware
Re: Texas boys i need an answer!!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 01:53:24 pm »
 *modified* From what I just read Texas only requires those born after Sept. 2nd 1971 to take the hunter ED course. So they should issue you a license without needing to take the Safety course if born before this date.  This goes for bow or rifle hunting. All those born after that date will not be issued a hunting license without first taking the safety course. The hunter safety course is also the same from state to state and it transferable so if you move states you won't have to take it again.
 That is how I understand it anyway.   

~Shane
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 02:05:51 pm by Bearded Mountan Man »
"As if you could kill time without injuring eternity" -Henry David Thoreau

Offline 4dog

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 02:04:15 pm »
now see where my confusion lies..on the texas bowhunters site...one guy said..that if you were born BEFORE..1971.. you DO NOT HAVE TO TAKE THE SAFETY COURSE,, however you DO need a license..see two sites ..two different answers..thus is MY confusion...lol

• Waxhaw Survival Ware
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 02:09:52 pm »
After reading a little into it I modified my original response. I used to live in TX and my best friend lives and hunts there. If you are hunting big game in TX you need a license. Hogs don't count because they are not considered "game" you can hunt them without a license. If you were born before Sept 2. 1971 you don't need to take the safety course but you still need to purchase a license and follow all the hunting regulations.

~Shane

• Waxhaw Survival Ware
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 02:12:52 pm »
It is a little confusing. lol

Offline 4dog

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 02:33:45 pm »
ok good cause its been buggin me all season..really was getting wigged about ot..breathing big sighs of relief.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 04:35:53 pm »
As for Hogs...

EXOTIC ANIMALS AND FOWL
Exotic animal refers to grass-eating or plant-eating, single-hoofed or cloven-hoofed mammals that are not indigenous or native to Texas and are known as ungulates, including animals from the deer and antelope families that landowners have introduced into this state. Includes, but is not limited to feral hog, Aoudad sheep, Axis deer, Elk, Sika deer, Fallow deer, Blackbuck antelope, Nilgai antelope, and Russian boar.  refers to any avian species that is not indigenous to this state, including ratites (emu, ostrich, rhea, cassowary, etc.).
There are no state bag or possession limits or closed seasons on exotic animals or fowl on private property.
It is against the law to:
• Hunt an exotic without a valid hunting license.
• Hunt an exotic on a public road or right-of-way.
• Hunt an exotic without the landowner’s permission.
• Possess an exotic or the carcass of an exotic without the owner’s consent.
 ApersonwhoviolatestheselawscommitsanoffensethatisaClassAParksand Wildlife Code misdemeanor ($500-$4,000 and/or up to one year in jail).
The Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC) regulates the movement of feral swine for disease-control purposes. For more information please call TAHC at (800) 550-8242 or see www.tahc.state.tx.us

Directly from the field guide...
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publications/pwdpubs/media/outdoorannual_2013_14.pdf

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Gus

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 04:42:29 pm »
So unless you are on private property...
And "He Was Coming Right At Me!!!"...

You need a Valid Hunting License to hunt hogs in Texas.

When you get right down to it if you intend to hunt anything in Texas you need a  hunting license.
Especially if you aren't standing on Your Own Land.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline 4dog

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 05:36:26 pm »
yup..the land of thr free ???and the home of the weird :o

Offline Gus

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 06:43:01 pm »
I hear ya...

Heck you even have to have a valid hunting license with the Reptile and Amphibian stamp to pick up Dead snakes off the Road...

I have this stamp along with the Non Game Dealer permit.
So I can legally collect, trade and sell native snakes.
As well as picking up dead snakes off the road.

I guess I should be happy that it isn't Completely illegal to take Road Killed Snakes.

-gus

Conroe, TX

Offline 4dog

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 08:42:50 pm »
well in Cali i hear swattin skeeters is illegal...or soon will be...lol  truth be told you get caught hunting snakes most times your told to carry on...lol

Offline k-hat

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 12:23:13 am »
yeah this whole hunter ed thing bugged the crap outta me.  I hunted quite a bit with my dad as a youth, but since i was born after 1971, had to take the course to hunt.  Been putting it off all these years for many reasons, finally got round to it this year.  I was able to do the 100% online version (YES!), with no field day requirement.  Just to experiment, i skipped all the modules straight down to the test, and it let me take the test.  I got an 88% (minimum is 70-something for credit).  BUT I STILL HAD TO PLAY THROUGH ALL THOSE MODULES TO GET A CERTIFICATE.  I know i know, don't cheat the system Kevin.  But doggonit what kept eating at my craw the whole time i was fast-forwarding through those modules and wingin those quizzes  >:D (all of which, cept one, i scored round 90%), was 'WHAT DOES A 45 YR OLD KNOW ABOUT HUNTING THAT I DON'T KNOW JUST CUZ HE'S 45!!!!" 

Riddle me that, batman.  Let me solve it for you... it ain't REALLY about making hunting safer (at least not in practice).  I tell ya, if i'da wasted 2 days of my life a few years ago before the online version, this rant would be a LOT longer!

Sorry for the hijack, but it's relevant! ;)

Offline 4dog

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 09:47:31 pm »

no hijack...it does seem rediculous that a 35 yr old person isnt considered "mature " enough to not go into the boonies and shoot at every rustle of leaves, bow or gun, but ya know,,look at the mess up in washington,, those are the same type of folks in austin makin laws that make no sense, what ya gonna do??

Offline k-hat

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 01:19:20 am »
Same thing i do when i look at washington.... grumble while i do what i gotta do >:( ;) :D

• Waxhaw Survival Ware
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 11:03:48 am »
I almost got a hunting license a few years back while living in WA, but I found out it would cost me about 5x as much as it does in NC. I just couldn't bring myself to pay it out. I'm glad to be back in NC where I can pay $40 for big game, small game, hunting on game lands, and fresh water fishing.