Author Topic: Switch cane?  (Read 16842 times)

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Switch cane?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 12:01:08 am »
The clumps of bambusa I've seen and collected from didn't get over 10' in diameter and were over 50 years old. It doesn't spread at all. The individual culms(canes) grew to about 15' and had a max diameter of 3/4".  The cane walls are thick with a small center hole and there is very little, if any, indentation above the nodes like in most bamboos.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 09:02:00 pm »
Thanks Pat, this specimen is the one and only I've come across so far that doesn't have any indentation above the node - almost like a dowl. I'll take some pic's of the grove while I'm there.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

joewaco78

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2007, 04:35:07 am »
I am not seeing anything like that around here so far.. But I hope I just needa look harder!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 03:36:02 pm »
I have confirmation - FINALLY ;D! This is definantly switch cane - a no brainer to all the locals down there that have been around it all their life. The groves I saw were growing in clumps, and I heard of some that was growing along a creek - didn't get any pic's of the plants but have one of the shafts I cut. This stuff is the straightest I've seen - straight as an arra (almost literally), the nodes are anywhere from 12" to 15" apart, has a very small pithy center and is strong. My quest fer arra material is finally ended ;D ;D.

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 03:49:47 pm »
Looks like nice stuff cowboy, I just spent 2 hours with the heat gun
staightening red osier shafts, and thats only the first session. You southern
folks have it way to easy with that stright stuff ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2007, 04:05:39 pm »
Paul, With internodes that long and the cane growing in clumps and your discription of the cane I would have to say it is Bambusa and not river cane. As far as Art Butner is concerned, Bambusa is the best cane he ever used for arrows. Looks like nice stuff. Can't wait to see the arrows you make with it.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

joewaco78

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 04:57:55 pm »
Sheesh... Now I just gotta find it here! haha! Nice haul!

Offline artcher1

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 06:58:54 pm »
I agree with Pat, I believe you have some Bambusa there also. If that's the case then be aware that it'll spine out pretty heavy on you. Just a 9/32" nock end will produce a spine of around 75#. Good idea to always top these shoots out at 1/4" or so when harvesting.

C:\Documents and Settings\Arthur\My Documents\My Pictures\cane-boo 005.jpg

C:\Documents and Settings\Arthur\My Documents\My Pictures\cane-boo 008.jpg

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2007, 07:05:12 pm »
Doesn't look like switch cane to me either, and I've planted and cut a lot of the stuff. I would also guess Bambusa or one of the Sasas. Looks like great stuff, whatever it is. An arrow by any other name will still fly as straight.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 11:14:40 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

joewaco78

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2007, 10:20:12 pm »
I was curious if this was even close? I found this earlier this evening.

joewaco78

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2007, 10:28:03 pm »
another couple of pics to follow... Can anyone tell me if I am on the right track?

« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 10:39:10 pm by joewaco78 »

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2007, 11:24:46 pm »
Joewaco, that looks more like Arundo donax (giant reed) or maybe Phragmites reed.  They're both pretty marginal arrow material-you'll probably have to use foreshafts and nock inserts to make it work.
Smoky Mountains, NC

joewaco78

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2008, 12:20:48 am »
What's a foreshaft? And how good of arrow material is this? I shoot a 55# bow currently.. I would be really upset if it blew up in my face... much less arm..

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2008, 12:26:48 am »
A foreshaft is a piece of hardwood attached to the front of an arrow. I wouldn't consider it to be good arrow material myself. There's bound to be something better around there.
Smoky Mountains, NC

joewaco78

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2008, 01:01:08 am »
gotcha.. I will keep looking.. This was a fluke find.. And I got so excited I took a piece and lots of pics just to ask... Another friend just pmed me and said it is large reed not river cane... Darnit.. hahaha.. I will keep looking!