Author Topic: First piece of osage to cross my bench. Opinions please.  (Read 14359 times)

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: First piece of osage to cross my bench. Opinions please.
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2013, 08:33:38 pm »
Fun to watch your first osage shape up.  Looking forward to the finale.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2013, 08:35:30 pm »
Come on PD, everyone knows recurves just look good and don't do anything else.

Dang it ! Thats right. I always forget Im wasting my time when I build statics. Dwardo, just keep telling yourself, Its just for looks, its just for looks, its just for looks. And when your done? You'll be pleasantly suprised..;)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

mikekeswick

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2013, 04:21:27 am »
Looking good!
I'm going to buy some more osage too....I have a need to work on a yellow stave. :)

Offline dwardo

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2013, 08:22:09 am »
The result of a nights steaming.

And a hangover...

blackhawk

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2013, 08:39:05 am »
Sounds like ya need a Bloody Mary  >:D looking good...now dry heat in 1-2" of reflex thru the working limbs and you'll be ready to go ;)

mikekeswick

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2013, 09:27:39 am »
And some some deflex out of the handle  >:D
That stave will make a screamer  ;)
Mildly rounded belly too, especially out of the fades.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2013, 12:04:57 pm »
And some some deflex out of the handle  >:D
That stave will make a screamer  ;)
Mildly rounded belly too, especially out of the fades.

Sounds like ya need a Bloody Mary  >:D looking good...now dry heat in 1-2" of reflex thru the working limbs and you'll be ready to go ;)

Reflex, deflex, this is gonna be like the car Homer designed  ;)
Going to remove a bit more wood and get it bending just a bit. So far its all by eye.
Then maybe steam in the deflex a little? Not had great results with dry heat that close to the handle before. Then dry heat in some reflex. Maybe just one or two beers tonight  ::)

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2013, 04:21:54 am »
That will teach me to have my head in a pile of shavings. Where did you get that Osage! Man I am loving this thread. Your not going to like it but you have to work less on them computer things and more on this strange yellow wood ;)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2013, 07:24:01 am »
Looking very good,should be a real sweet shooter,looking forward to seeing it bend. :) Careful on getting it braced,with the tips and more reflex it will feel much heavier than it really is when first trying to brace it. :) It can fool you into thinking it is way to heavy very easy. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2013, 01:39:26 pm »
This is a fun link, Dwardo!  I'm in your corner, buddy!  You've got a great start and there is something really enjoyable in seeing our American gold on a workbench over there.  I'll be watching!
1’—>1’

Offline dwardo

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2013, 04:24:40 pm »
That will teach me to have my head in a pile of shavings. Where did you get that Osage! Man I am loving this thread. Your not going to like it but you have to work less on them computer things and more on this strange yellow wood ;)

Ayup matey. Managed to pick the osage up cheap on a forum :)
Its a shame the computer stuff pays the bills or I would spend all my time playing with sticks  >:D and yup its strange stuff indeed.
Looks like elm close up, works like yew and cherry. It is also happy under pretty much any tool sharp or scrape. Bends as easily as a politician too.

Looking very good,should be a real sweet shooter,looking forward to seeing it bend. :) Careful on getting it braced,with the tips and more reflex it will feel much heavier than it really is when first trying to brace it. :) It can fool you into thinking it is way to heavy very easy. :)
 Pappy

Hope so pappy, have been fooled many times with that early feeling draw. Hope not too again.

This is a fun link, Dwardo!  I'm in your corner, buddy!  You've got a great start and there is something really enjoyable in seeing our American gold on a workbench over there.  I'll be watching!

It is nice to have a physical reference here in front of me. I read so much about this fabled stuff.
If i can pluck up the courage I will be having a scape this eve but its about -1 in my workshop at the moment and suffering with man-flu i might wuss out. Its ok though the doctor says I will live despite my complaints;)

Offline dwardo

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2013, 05:58:45 pm »
Have not had the mindset to do much bow work recently, the most I have done is potter round and tidy up all the shavings.
I think sometimes unless your mind is upto it then you just make more mistakes and dont enjoy it.

This evening after a face drilling at the dentist I had some time to play with this bit of osage. Rough out an elm and reduce this yew a bit.

Now this is a tasty looking workshop floor!

#

Roughing out a yew longbow. Only tend to get to this every now and then as I am not thinking about longbows at the min.

The Osage is getting there  :D . This is the first time it has seen a string after cutting in some temp nocks.
I added about an inch of reflex to the outers. Could have done more but i think less heat will give me a better intro to the wood.
Currently about 1,5/8 of reflex and not budged at all yet.

Barely any eight on the string

Nice to see nothing jumps out so near brace. The shape the bow should be is getting much clearer in mind now even before its seen a string.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2013, 06:57:00 pm »
Looks like it's getting close to the short string....What do ya think?
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Don Case

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2013, 06:58:18 pm »
Wow! that is yellow isn't it. I've heard people say "yaller wood" but boy! I had a sports car that colour. That's going on my list. I guess the bow isn't that bright though.
Don

Offline dwardo

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2013, 07:03:22 pm »
Looks like it's getting close to the short string....What do ya think?
DBar

Oh so close. The second shot is nearly an inch brace if it wasn't for the handle depth, no idea what I will do with the handle yet.
So far its got to here with only the eye rather than a long string or muc floor tiller. So hopefully I have not annoyed the wood yet. I am sure I will upset it later on in tiller but its as fresh as a daisy so far.