Author Topic: Want to make a bow  (Read 7567 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: Want to make a bow
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2007, 06:45:06 am »
Joshua, boards are a great way to learn the basics of tillering. Please post pics of your progress, we are all voyeurs
and love to watch the creation of a new bowyer. Also don't be shy about asking for help, there is so much expertise
and knowledge on this board all ya have to do is ask. Oh did I mention we like pictures ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2007, 11:55:22 am »
Joshua, boards are a great way to learn the basics of tillering. Please post pics of your progress, we are all voyeurs
and love to watch the creation of a new bowyer. Also don't be shy about asking for help, there is so much expertise
and knowledge on this board all ya have to do is ask. Oh did I mention we like pictures ;)
                                    Ah, creation of a new bow Dana NOT a new bowyer ! ;D.........bob

Offline DanaM

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2007, 12:14:37 pm »
bob I stand humbly corrected ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

forestmusic

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 03:12:08 pm »
I just cut a stave from willow oak. Anyone know about this wood? Do I seal the back or just the ends? If nobody's worked it before I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 04:15:15 pm »
No clue what willow oak is but seal the ends as soon as possible, and
if you have debarked it I would seal the back. I like to use shellac, but glue
or poly will work also.

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 05:05:39 pm »
Willow oak - same as pin oak. At least that's what the guy in North Carolina told me. I would imagine it'll work bout as good as most oaks, though never tried it..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 08:54:20 am »
Willow oak is one of the red oak group, like Paul said, the wood should be about the same as any of the others. You probably won't need to seal the back this time of year, but better safe than sorry. Plain ol' cheap Elmer's glue works good for sealing, just put it on thick.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

forestmusic

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 12:26:00 pm »
Thanks everybody. You've all been very helpful. By the way, willow oak is sometimes called pin oak but it's actually a different tree. I think they only grow in the southern-most states.