Author Topic: Pine Pitch Substitute?  (Read 10083 times)

Offline Mike_H

Re: Pine Pitch Substitute?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 12:07:10 am »
I've used industrial hot glue you get at the hardware store.  Far stronger than craft hot glue.  Good sub for ppg and cheaper than buying archery hot melt glue.  Bur I've gone with ppg just be cause I want to go natural.

Offline markinengland

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 04:48:48 pm »
From what I have read, in US areas where pine or birch was available (wet colder areas) it was used by native Americans on arrows to hold points on.
In areas where pine and birch were not found (hot dry areas) only sinew was used as this worked well in hot dry areas.
In some intermediate areas both were use.
So, if you can't find pine or birch resin you probably don't need it!

Offline Buck67

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 06:59:11 am »
I don't have any access to pine pitch but I have had success using hide glue.  I have a container of pearlized hide glue that I picked up years ago.  I heat it with water in a double boiler.  I use it to glue both the points, the sinew wrapping and the fletchings to the arrow shaft.  I haven't had a chance to shoot much with these arrows in the cold weather that we are now having, but they all survived at least one shot into plywood without loosening.

Offline knapperhead

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 03:37:58 pm »
interesting Mark, it makes sense

Offline woodswalker

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 10:33:33 pm »
I am right there with Buckeye Guy. I have used it with great success. You have to really powder the charcoal very good or you will see the big peaces in the epoxy and as Pat said it is very permanent so get it right the first time. I use Gorilla glue mix epoxy. Good luck.

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 12:41:03 am »
I have been using hide glue with sinew, covered in TBII for water resistance. Nice solid points and have not had any issues with loose heads either....
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 02:45:47 am »
Bob Berg of thunderbirdatlatl sells a hafting raisin compound of natural materials - his own mixture - and that stuff is fantastic. Go to his side and look for 'shop' ----> 'other'
Frank from Germany...

Offline Newindian

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 10:26:57 am »
Juniper sap can work as a substitute but takes a lot of work gathering, you can also smoke some of the modern adhesives with a match to get them to look like pitch
I like free stuff.

Offline Buck67

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 11:47:36 am »
I have been using hot hide glue and really appreciate it.  The nice thing is that you can either make it yourself by boiling rawhide for a couple of hours, details on YouTube, or you can buy it online.  Using it requires a small source of heat and a small pot.  I happen to have an antique cast iron double boiler type glue pot.  However people on YouTube seem to get along with small slowcookers or even an electric baby bottle warmer.  If you don't live where pines are plentiful then hot hide glue is worth looking into.

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 04:50:38 pm »
Knapperhead I also live in central TX. College Station to be exact. I would like to meet you some time.  To answer your question you can use cedar( ash juniper) resin as a substitute.  At least I have read that it will work.

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2014, 11:00:36 pm »
If you have pinyon pines nearby, that works better than tall pine sap. Juniper sap can be used. The secret to gathering that is find old, toppled dead ones and look under it. The sun will have cooked the sap right out of it and it will be in dried nuggets.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...