Author Topic: Plant Fiber Backing Info Needed.  (Read 15252 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: Plant Fiber Backing Info Needed.
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2014, 01:53:36 am »
Do you have any experience with the nylon backing as bent ironed in tbb?  Is that coming from twine?

I'm considering using that on a trial also.  Possibly cable bow.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2014, 07:16:18 pm »
Nope.  No experience with nylon backing of any type.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2014, 07:39:00 pm »
I've used and like silk, burlap and linen. Not the artificial burlap though. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Artus

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2019, 02:00:39 pm »
Hello guys,

thats an interesting topic. If you use silk fibers, does that look like this?
http://www.wollezwerg.de/epages/61869375.sf/de_AT/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61869375/Categories/Seidenfasern/Maulbeer-Seide

Also I´m interested, if the sisal is likely to overpower the belly.

Thanks

Offline gfugal

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2019, 10:19:25 pm »
I am attempting to "repair" a bow with flax. It's still in the works but I treated the fine flax fibers like sinew. however, you need to 1) make the hide glue much thicker, 2) use a thick initial sizing coat before adding any plantfiber and 3) soak the fiber in water than in the glue before laying it down. If you don't soak it first, it will soak up the little glue on the exterior, taking in its moisture since it is so dry and preventing enough to remain outsid to glue it down. This is probably more important with finer processed plant fibers. Otherwise I treated it the same as sinew. However, I would say the hide glue did not provide any shrinking benefit like I hoped, like it does with sinew, so Iwould say just use titebond unless you want the option to remove the fibers for reuse.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Artus

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2019, 01:45:51 pm »
Thanks!

Have you made experiences with sisal?

Offline willie

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2019, 06:12:12 pm »
sisal backing site:http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/

can be an effective way to search the forum. the top result from joachimM might be helpful.

It is my opinion that just about anything used as a backing can overpower a belly, if used to excess
amount being as important as what kind

the link in reply 18 above is good reading
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 06:20:28 pm by willie »

Offline Artus

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2019, 02:03:32 pm »
Thanks!

I get your point but some backings are more likely to overpower a belly. I heard that hemp should only be used on wood, that is very strong in compression strength for example.

Offline willie

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2019, 05:53:07 pm »
yes, very stiff or strong backings like flax or glass only need a very little to overpower

Offline txdm

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2019, 10:43:01 am »
Titebond was a horrible pairing with a fiber backing I did, it was hard to work with, heavy, has no spring back or reflex when drying.

What's the general consensus on how Titebond III (3) performs in this respect compared to I and II?

I'm also interested in if anyone has seen any benefit to backing with paper or plant fiber (espeially sisal) and knox or hide glue instead of Titebond III.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 10:49:48 am by txdm »

Offline gfugal

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2019, 09:04:11 pm »
Titebond was a horrible pairing with a fiber backing I did, it was hard to work with, heavy, has no spring back or reflex when drying.

What's the general consensus on how Titebond III (3) performs in this respect compared to I and II?

I'm also interested in if anyone has seen any benefit to backing with paper or plant fiber (espeially sisal) and knox or hide glue instead of Titebond III.

I tried hide glue. It soaked it up like it was a sponge. To combat that I find making the glue pretty vicious helped. you also had to use more of it. It worked but I would say that it didn't have the springiness like sinew and hide glue do. I don't know whether the "heavy", and no "spring back or relex when drying" was not the fault of the titebond but of the fiber backing. It's just not going to behave like sinew.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.