Author Topic: New to Yew... Layout ???  (Read 9432 times)

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

New to Yew... Layout ???
« on: November 16, 2013, 08:00:54 pm »
Since I got mixed feelings from fellas about ash I figured I would post this stave and ask you guys what to do with this yew. I got it in a trade last year and have never worked with yew. Would like to make a short 62 ttt bow in the 50 pound mark.

All yew fellas please help!!!!

Thanks guys!
Justin
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 06:30:00 am by bowhntineverythingnh03743 »

Offline Weylin

Re: What would YEW do???
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 08:45:32 pm »
I'd make a bow out of it!  ;D

Is there anything specific that you're wondering about? Seems like a decent piece of wood from this angle.

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 08:55:01 pm »
Yes I have never used yew so I am totally green. I have no clue what type of bow demeans ions or how to process this log into a stave... Any advice or direction is needed.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 09:02:44 pm »
Well, assuming the stave is dry I would build a flat bow style and probably have it bend into the handle if you want to got 62" ntn. An 1.5" wide should be plenty. If the sapwood is too thick I would reduce it down to 1/4" to ensure that you have heartwood for the whole length. You could flip the tips or not depending on your preference and/or experience. Those are just some thoughts. I'm sure there's more than one way to skin that cat.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 09:11:55 pm »
Id send it to me.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 09:21:04 pm »
Pearly I'll send it to ya... Just got to send it back once completed lol... I feel if I start on this journey once again I will end with two pieces.

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 09:39:38 pm »

Offline Weylin

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 10:57:25 pm »
I'd make this ;)
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,43428.0.html
Ha! I was thinking of saying the exact same thing. I noticed the specs were about the same. Yeah, that would be a great design for that stave.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 11:09:29 pm »
Is it a branch stave with obvious tension and compression sides?
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 07:17:50 am »
@Carson....whether it was a branch or leaning trunk we can see just enough evidence piecing the pics together that it has a tension and a compression side....I see the tension wood is on the deflexed side....hence why I posted the link to pearlys bow ;) ...I was hoping I could be simple enough and not have to explain what I see ;) ....now the op could try and band saw it in half...but would have to be very careful and would risk the chance that he has to now make  both bend in the handle bows...to be safe if he wanted to make a stiff handled bow I'd say there's prob only one adult bow in there? ...at 3" wide you have to cut with precision ...he could err to the compression side when cutting n try to squek  out a bend in the handle bow with that piece,and still get a stiff handled bow too? Hard to say without seeing it in person and knowing the diameter in the middle of the stave where the handles would be...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 08:55:45 am »
Truthfully, Id saw it right down the middle and make one deflex bow and one reflex bow paying zero attention to compression and tension sides of the limb.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 09:04:46 am »
Ok pearly I will work on that today. It's 3 inches all the way through the stave. I was thinking I could get a R/d design maybe from one side and a reflexes bow from the other. They are gonna be on the short side tho. About 64 ttt

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 09:46:53 am »
Make the fades work fast, or make bendys. 64" is plenty.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 02:10:29 pm »
If it is not reasonably dry (and full round branch staves aren't necessarily dry after a year), and you band saw it without regard to compression and tension wood, then it will likely change shape quite a bit when it drys more after being sawn. 

I haven't bothered with the bottom side of a yew branch before, but I have heard that is no good for bow wood.  Would love to see that proved wrong. 

Personally, I would focus on the tension side and make a bow like Pearly's.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 07:05:52 am »
Ok guys so today I want to cut this yew in half to get at least one usable bow out of it. How would you go about it to get the best result. Some of you are talking about focusing on the tension side of the branch. I am assuming that is the side with the deflex in it? You know what assuming gets ya tho...