Author Topic: New to Yew... Layout ???  (Read 9312 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: What would YEW do???
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 08:46:08 am »
Don't make it too difficult and complex man, its just a stick of wood. Cut it in half and use the "good" side first and use the "bad" side second. Don't be alarmed if you end up with two yew bows in the end. If your worried about warping after you cut it in half, strap it to a board and let sit for another month or so.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 08:58:51 am »
Ok Chris I will do that then... Draw a line down the middle and let it rip!!! I will strap it down to a board after... Do I need to seal it all up and do I remove the bark now too???

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 09:15:28 am »
Like Carson said, try one from the "bad" half and see what happens. And then let us know so we can store the knowledge.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 10:55:21 am »
I say don't remove the bark until you're ready to make a bow. I've had debarked yew check on me while it's drying.

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 01:11:20 pm »
So I cut the branch in half and when doing so I saw the marking of Sept. 2006 so I would say this thing is ready to work. So I went a head and attempted my hand at my first time taking the bark off the deflex half. How does it look guys?

I left this area alone right now because I did not know how to work these area...

Here is the belly side... Are these dark knots going to be a problem...

There is one problem area that I think I might have screwed up on... What do I do about this???

So I also noticed that this has a really high crown on the back. I will make a line down the middle of the crown and then make the width a little wider than I need. I ended up measuring the stave and it is only going to be 60 tip to tip. So what would be the best width and layour for this to wkr the best.

Thanks guys for any help that you can give me. I want to make a simple but eligant weapon...

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: What would YEW do???.... Barks off
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2013, 05:56:17 pm »
Nice looking piece of Yew you got there.
What's the thickness of the Sapwood?

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2013, 06:55:38 pm »
It's around 1/4 inch on the tips that I can see.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2013, 09:31:35 pm »
With that high crown a hollow limb design would be awesome, but there are lots of options.   
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2013, 03:28:53 am »
Is there any tried and true design that I should use with this high crown. Please remember that I still have yet to make a successful selfbow. I have no idea how wide it should be and where to taper the limbs to.

Guess I can do a search of yew bows and see what is out there to fit my need.

Offline snag

Re: New to Yew... Layout ???
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2013, 11:34:59 am »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,30667.0.html

You might take a look at this tutorial by Gordon. Love the layout of this bow.
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2013, 01:02:30 pm »
I have read that thread six ways to Sunday but I don't believe my stave will work for it.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2013, 02:28:28 pm »
If you are looking to make your first selfbow from this stave, then keeping it simple is the way to go.  How about simple longbow.  At 60", I would try to get it bending through the handle.   Because of yews properties, I would keep it pretty narrow and crown the belly to match the back.    Keep the outer 10-12" of limbs as stiff, narrow levers to keep string angle and stack down.  Hope that helps. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2013, 02:42:04 pm »
POW...there is probably your best bet at 60".

blackhawk

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2013, 02:46:28 pm »
This bows 59" ntn

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=33859.0

But I wasn't a novice looking for my first selfbow either at the time ;)

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2013, 04:17:58 am »
While using yew do you need to follow the grain as you do osage or is there a different method for yew. Sorry for so many questions but again I have not made a successful bow nor have I ever used yew.

Thanks