Author Topic: Ash, its been awhile since i been on  (Read 1517 times)

Offline kayakfisher

Ash, its been awhile since i been on
« on: November 17, 2013, 01:39:22 am »
Its been awhile since I have been on the forum.I have a question about working Ash.Haveing made several bows out of Osage and for a forty to forty five pound bow I could cut the limbs to a half inch thick for a good starting point.I purchase a Ash stave and going to do the gull wing rawhide backed thing. However I have never worked Ash before shooting for the forty five to fifty pound range. Anybody know a good limb thickness for starting on Ash before floor tillering.

The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline steve b.

Re: Ash, its been awhile since i been on
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 01:47:11 am »
I have lots of finished bows that are half inch thick, or thinner, so I would start out at least 3/4".

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 07:55:40 am »
Got any pics of this stave? Ash can vary greatly in density from tree to tree ....anyways,if you lay your width out right you can make a 1/2" mark at the fade from the edge of the back down the side and a mark 3/8" from the edge of the back at the tip and facet a line...and reduce down to that line,but not erasing it like you normally would for any other bow...that's if your just making a normal flat bow style of bow ....that will get you into floor tillering every time for normal hunting weights with any kind of wood except yew n junipers...just as long as your width lay out is correct

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 02:42:35 pm »
I have made a lot of ash bows...if they are 2" wide at fades and bow is 68" long........then a half inch thick limb (at the fade)....always makes me a bow around 50lbs
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......