Author Topic: Big 7 pt. Keith's #8  (Read 9653 times)

Offline keithv

Big 7 pt. Keith's #8
« on: November 18, 2013, 08:53:18 pm »
Really good day hunting. I went to a new tree stand that I put up last week. Saw a total of 15 deer.  Had 3 different pairs of does come in and give me 6 to 8 yd shots. Didn't want to shoot another doe. Was watching this pair of does walk away from the tree when I heard a grunt. This buck had gotten within 30 yd of me before I saw him. He walked by me at 12 yd. Took the shot and hit him mid body just a little back. Saw him for about 150 yd. and though he crossed a paved road. Called GregB and he came over to help track. We had waited almost 5 hours before we walked down the paved road looking for blood. Got to the place where I had last seen the buck and looked over the fence and there he was, about 15 yd off the road. It was no tracking and a long 15 yd drag. Thanks GregB.

Offline keithv

Re: Big 7 pt. Keith's #8
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 08:56:26 pm »
Pappy, Here is another money buck, I also misses a 7 pt Sat. morning. Maybe you need to come to the house and hunt for a 7 pt. Will split the money with you.  ;)

Offline Dax

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 09:10:45 pm »
When I was a kid...I killed lots of bugs.....I also shot a few birds with my bb gun....I didn't countem...but there were lots.  I ain't a kid anymore...so I quit killin as much stuff......decided at some point enough was enough, I reckon.....

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 10:00:13 pm »
Wow, Congrats on a fine buck!
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 05:48:11 am »
Nice job Keith,beautiful buck. Dax,you do your thing and we will do ours,we use the meat and supplies,so if you don't like killing you probably should not look at the bow hunting thread. :) that is kind of what this thread is about pretty simple. ??? sorry. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline sonny

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 07:14:53 pm »
Pappy, you got no reason to apologize to him!

I enjoy seeing the pics....just wish I was  seeing as many deer as Keith is  ;)
but I'll keep on huntin' nonetheless!
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Dax

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 08:03:03 pm »
Don't mind killing...I'm all for hunting myself.  Just seems at a point one could be satisfied without killing so many.  Buffaloes kind of thing...just expressing my opinion.... my right to, same as yours.   

Offline Will H

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 09:09:37 pm »
Great job on that buck Keith!

Dax- In our part of TN we can kill 3 does a day and 3 bucks per year. Keith is one of the many folks around here that capitalizes on that. As far as comparing him to a buffalo killer goes id say your WAY off base! We eat our deer, we make buckskins and rawhide from the hides, we use the bones for various assorted things, not to mention the many uses of sinew. Alot of us donate "extra" meat to familys who need it... We ain't out slaughtering and skinning, leaving the meat to spoil in search of the almighty dollar. You have a right to express your opinion for sure... I just think you have the wrong impression here.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 10:14:45 pm »
Congrats on another fine deer Keith, looks like that arrow did a pretty handy job on him.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Dax

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 11:10:15 pm »
Will H...Well...in Bama one can kill up to three bucks a season...a buck and doe a day...or two does a day...oct 15-jan 31 with a bow...and in some parts on into february but a later start in oct....to me...how many buckskins does one need...how many bones....sinew is quite in demand..antlers for stone knapping...that being said, I can see where my impression can be clouded by ruthless hunters who kill to leavem lay and only cut off the heads for the antlers.  Bowhunters, particularly primitive bow hunters, do tend to use the animals they take more efficiently.  Still, at some point, the similarity between the tendency of gun hunters to keep a number count on the deer  they kill looms large here.  Of course, no one owes me an explanation, as it is true that I am no authority...rather, you guys are a bunch of friends who hunt together, know each other, and appreciate each others' points of view and ambitions.  I do think you make a good point, Will H, and I agree you know everyone much better than I that resides within your group.  So, I'll leave it at that.  I hope you guys continue to enjoy each others' company and good luck hunting.

Offline VicNova

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 12:30:33 am »
Dam Keith, you shoot a lot of deer man! ;D
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline WhitefeatherFout

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 12:36:07 am »
First of all, I guess I'm new on here again! I gave up for a bit after not being able to log in but may have it figured out now. Congrats on a fine deer Keith.  Looks like you made a nice shot there.  I hope it eats well and is put to good use. 

I seen my buddy Dax has inspired some additional commentary!  I don't intend to hijack this thread but I have to say this.  Dax is a great guy to begin with.  I had the privilage of him coming up here to Ohio to hunt with me a few weeks ago.  He drove all the way from Tide territory into the Buckeye state with his son and the intention of killing deer, turkey, squirrel and grouse.  I had never met Dax before and his story is similar to mine in alot of ways.  I didn't have a hunting mentor as a child, my friends got me into it and here I am today building bows and hunting with stone points and living out a dream trying to teach my children what I didn't know when I was their age.  Dax is doing the same with his son and numbers are obviously not important to him.  its teaching his son, who is a fine young man, what we didn't get taught when we were young.  That is how this thing grows and gets passed down.  I seen it happen at my own house with Dax and his son first hand.  Dax may just be an old soul like me and let a few deer walk here and there to make sure our kids have something to go after.  We don't all live in a place where game is abundant all the the time. 

Again, nice job Keith. 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 05:38:38 am »
Glad this stayed nice. I am sure Dax is a nice guy and good for him raising his son
is such a good way,didn't mean to get a bunch of stuff started but as I stated many times,to each their own.Some pass deer in hopes of a bigger one some just hunt deer,we fall in that group,and by the way Dax you can never have to much sinew/bones and hides. ;) :) :) Plus we eat between my family and at the club 20 to 25 deer a year, The Good Lord has blessed us with an abundance of deer and we take advantage of them. Haven't bought beef in years. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good