Author Topic: Question on eastern woodland bows.  (Read 5399 times)

Offline Dakotian

Question on eastern woodland bows.
« on: December 13, 2007, 01:10:22 pm »
I have decided on a resonable goal, one project a season. Shortly now I should like to get started on my winter bow(which at the rate I work will probably take me all winter). I would like to make a rabbit bow for when springs comes around. So far the style that has served me best for this is the east coast woodland design. However I have made two bows I have called an east coast design whoose inspiration came from places I no longer remeber. One was a fairly short flatbow about 1.5" in width, the other was a fairly long flatbow 1" in width. Before I start my project I would like to discover what it is that defines a bow as an eastern woodland design? In keeping with this style what features should be added?

Offline richpierce

Re: Question on eastern woodland bows.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 01:54:34 pm »
In just reading the Traditional Bowyers Bible and a few other things, there is a lot of variety in eastern woodlands bows.  They range from the outrageous Penobscot to the famous Sudbury bow, to decorated Iroquios deflex-reflex bows, to Cherokee longbows, and many more.  Short bows were relatively rare compared to the midwest and west.  Many bows were simple D bows, long and narrow.

if you look at the websites of some of the sponsors of this site, you will find they offer bows ready-made to be close to some of these designs, just needing final tillering and finishing.  Rudderbows is one of them.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 02:51:48 pm »
What most people refer to as the generic Eastern Woodlands bow is the typical type for the region-anywhere from 50-72" long, usually about an inch to 1 1/2" at the grip and most of the length, 5/8" to 3/4" or a little more at the nocks; rectangular cross-section, bending slightly through the handle, diamond or pin nocks.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 09:49:52 am »
here is one i made using hickory a couple years ago.  it's a replica of the bow in the bowyer's bible.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 01:36:00 pm »
Andrew, Check out last years Community Bow. It is a Cayuga style, bendy handle, recurve bow. Also the Cherokee style bows that bend through the handle and have nocks like Hillbilly discribed or just simple side nocks are very effective bows.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dakotian

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 12:28:50 pm »
Alrght, I have decided on a longbow similar to the one Mechslasher displayed, only shorter. Now to decided on whethor to use mulberry stave or a red oak or birch board.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 01:12:46 pm »
Go for the mulberry. It's a historically accurate wood for that type of bow, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.