Author Topic: I've come to a realization/epiphany regarding my bow making  (Read 10682 times)

Offline kiltedcelt

I've come to a realization/epiphany regarding my bow making
« on: November 21, 2013, 09:18:15 pm »
So today, I spent the better part of the afternoon/evening working a on jig to put tapers on bow blanks made from regular lumber. Long story short, I realized I don't like making multi-lam wood bows. All of this power tool usage, jigs, tapers, etc. it's all too much like "wood engineering" rather than bowyering. I feel like it's a mere step away from making fiberglass bows. It's too much engineering and formula for my tastes. I would rather just make bows using plain old wood staves using nothing but hand tools. So, with that in mind, can anyone direct me to some online retailers or members here selling staves? I'd go for just about anything at this point, but I think since I don't have a whole lot of experience making bows from staves, I'd rather start with white woods I guess. I have an osage stave that is a bit of a character stave that I've been working off and on for a few years trying to chase a ring. The stave is not the greatest, so I tend to try working it for a while then I get frustrated and put it away for months at a time. Anyway, any suggestions on folks selling staves (at hopefully reasonable prices), would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Weylin

Re: I've come to a realization/epiphany regarding my bow making
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 09:21:19 pm »
Check out Carson at Echo Archery.

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 09:39:05 pm »
Where do you live? Are you able to cut your own wood?

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 09:53:33 pm »
yeah man!  Hand toosl and stave.  That's all you need!  Pretty soon you'll forget about taking measurements and foolishness like that lol  >:D
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 10:48:46 pm »
ADB,

I live in Chicago, Illinois. Cutting my own wood is pretty much out of the question. All the wooded areas are pretty much part of Forest Preserve District of Cook County. They seriously look down on people "removing" items from the preserves. A couple friends got busted by rangers for digging ramps. I can only imagine the load of trouble I'd be in if I tried to cut staves and carry them out. Unfortunately, I'm stuck buying staves that someone else has cut.

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 11:18:32 pm »
Echo archery is awesome. Carson is amazing to work with.
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 03:48:07 am »
Check out Carson at Echo Archery.

+1
Clatskanie, Oregon

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 07:32:40 am »
I know Cody(missile master) has gotten permission to cut invasive species from forest preserves in Illinois not far from you...he's harvested a ton of European buckthorn, so maybe there isn't any left..lol  :laugh:  but seriously they want that stuff eradicated ..now go do your homework in where to locate some and getting permission

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 09:52:31 am »
If you can, try out hickory. takes a lot of abuse and comes back for more. easy to work, and usually pretty easy to find. I started making a board bow, it just got boring for me so I have it half done sitting near some staves and just cant seem to pick it back up when there is a gnarly, twisted, knot filled stave next to it! Not condemning board bows in anyway, just cant seem to feel the same magic as a tree I cut and split myself.

PrimitiveTim: I was a little worried that everyone else was measuring an I was the only one just drawing on wood and hacking it out until it worked!  :D
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 12:31:35 pm »
Blackhawk,

Thanks for the info. I sent a PM to Cody to see where he's going and who he's been talking to. I was told a couple years back that even though it was invasive I wasn't allowed to go cut any and if I was caught I'd be prosecuted. That's bureaucracy for ya.

Matt

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 12:43:50 pm »
Ya know I'm a firm believer in the don't ask don't tell method when the occassion arises...  :o  waif for a full moon and don on your ninja gear son  8)

Offline dwardo

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 12:59:16 pm »
Blackhawk,

Thanks for the info. I sent a PM to Cody to see where he's going and who he's been talking to. I was told a couple years back that even though it was invasive I wasn't allowed to go cut any and if I was caught I'd be prosecuted. That's bureaucracy for ya.

Matt

If,,,,

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 02:26:48 pm »
If you can't do some selective pruning without being caught it's time to hung up the drawknife. >:D

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 02:59:14 pm »
There are a couple of literary references to "...the pilfered stave..."
My best bows have been from bummed/filched/pilfered/reallocated staves...
Just sayin'...

Offline StickMan47

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 03:33:53 pm »
I went a long time hunting staves online, even bought a few off the bay. hit the woods close around the house here and really never found anything worthwhile to cut. Of course you live in the "concrete jungle" so its a little different. But I really buckled down these last few months to hunt for wood! Man did my efforts pay off. I have 5 different species of bow wood at my disposal now. As a plus I located a good source of a couple of those species. When hunting season isnt going on its wide open for harvesting!

My point is this, if you have woodland near you, get out there in it. If you aren't sure about tree I.D. then get you a book to take into the woods with you. Moonlit nights are a plus too!  ;D
Makin fine firewood, one bow at a time!