Author Topic: I might be loosing another dog  (Read 6663 times)

Offline sleek

I might be loosing another dog
« on: November 25, 2013, 12:47:28 pm »
My lab is sick. He wont eat or drink. Day before yesterday he was fine. Yesterday I saw vomit all over the yard. He cant eat or drink anything without throwing up while trying. He doesnt want to move this morning. If he is alive when I get home, I am taking him to the vet. I have had him 3 years since he was a pup. Im going to miss this guy if he goes, but now I am worried about this spreading to my Husky and other little mut. I cant loose all my dogs..... Nope. I cant loose them all..... They are in a seperate area from the lab right now. 
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: I might be loosing another dog
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 01:28:38 pm »
The daughter had a chocolate Lab same thing happened she had cancer in her spleen. Hope everything is OK.

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 01:34:01 pm »
Depending on what the vet tells me... I need to figure out what is most loving towards the dog. Let it suffer in hope of recovery? Life is the most beautiful thing in the world after all. Opposite side is, the painful death risk. If I decide to put him down, Do I do it myself, or leave him with a vet to do it? I know I'm going to be sick either way.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 01:37:26 pm »
Hope he gets over it, whatever it is. I wouldn't be worried about putting him down just yet.  Dogs can be very resilient, sometimes it's surprising what they overcome.  The main thing is to get him the help he needs.  If I was you, I'd get him to the vet ASAP. 

Offline Stoker

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 03:53:57 pm »
A buddy of mine had something weird happen to his dog and waited a couple days to long..Dog had a twist in his gut.. AS CAM SAYS GO TO VET... Hope everything works out.. Hard to lose a good freind
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 04:15:01 pm »
Leroy is right.  Labs are more susceptible to bloat (twisted stomach) than other breeds.  It is not uncommon at all.  The symptoms you described sound like that could possibly be what is going on.  If that is the case, time is of the essence. If the stomach is twisted, there are likely blood vessels that are restricted, or pinched off all together.  The faster the dog is treated, the less internal damage there will be.

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 09:51:20 pm »
Vet says X rays look like an internal blockage. Maybe he ate some trash that got stuck. My across the fence neighbors are very trashy and I find garbage in my yard all the time. Doc listed me a $1,200 bill for the surgery. In the mean time he gave Koda anti nausea pis, and a shot, with de-wormer, just in case its worms causing him to be so sick as he does have some signs of worms.

I really dont know what to do here. Doc says if its a blockage, it could rupture and he could get an infection in his bowels. Then we would be in a medical emergency for sure. Also, that could happen at any time. On the other hand he admits he could be wrong, and said if Koda isnt better in 48 hours, from the anti nausea meds and drinking water then we have to hospitalize him. I need to squeeze his belly every few hours to check for pain. If he reacts to his belly squeezed, then its ruptured.

Bottom line, I have to let money dictate what will happen to my dog. I spent $500 today I dont have and have run out of orifices to pull money out of. Crossing my fingers and hoping he pulls through on this. Wish i knew the future so I can know how to handle this.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 10:51:25 pm »
I know where you are coming from, Sleek.  Prayers for you and the pup.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 10:55:40 pm »
I hope it works out good for you and your dog. Sometimes these things take a couple days to work out. Good luck.

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 11:08:30 pm »
I just got him to take a bite of food. Literally just one bite.  More than he has eaten in 48 hours. And he just drank water keeping it down. I only gave him half a cup. Dont want to over do it. The anti nausea shot must be working. Still, its encouraging....

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 08:30:56 am »
Hope it works out,I lost 2 last year and it's not easy to take. They were 8 and 11 years old. On the other hand and I know it sounds bad but I ant going to spend 1,200.00 on a dog. Love my dogs and care for them really well ,but they ant my kids.  :(
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 10:29:46 am »
Good luck Sleek, I'm hoping thet everything goe's well.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Stoker

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 11:01:03 am »
Hope everything works out fine... 1200 is a lot... I do agree with Pappy... A vet wanted 3000 for surgery for a cat!!! Cat is still alive and doing fine 5 years latter... Do what you can the best you can
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 11:07:34 am »
What sucks too is, I swear I could do this myself. Problem is, Goverment thinks that needs to be illegal.

Koda was still alive this morning when I went out annd checked on him. He seemed happy to see me, but I really had to coax him out his dog house. I squeezed his belly several times and he seemed to be enjoying the attention. Spent about 5 min outside with him petting him, then went inside for breakfast. I couldnt get him to drink anything though. Hopefully he is thirsty when I get home.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, 05:32:49 pm »
best of luck, hope he is getting better.
45# at 27"