Author Topic: yesterday in the field  (Read 1573 times)

Offline Badly Bent

yesterday in the field
« on: November 27, 2013, 11:56:43 am »
Not seeing any deer from my stand so took a little 1 hour hike in a crp field across the road from where i had my tree stand. This field, approx. 140 t0 200, acres is part of the public ground where I hunt. Tall grass, cedars and real dense russian olive thickets make this area a refuge for game. Found some impressive deer rubs on cedars, a few scrapes,
the remains of some ones bow shot deer with the arrow laying 10 ft away and all that was left of a turkey that was likely eaten by a coyote or two. I returned to my stand with a little over an hour of daylight left but at the end of the day I hadn't seen a single deer.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: yesterday in the field
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 12:28:02 pm »
Lucky! That is some nice wandering land Greg. I may have an extra deer or two up here, but Im stuck on small 5-6 acres lots. I prefer land over deer!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 03:45:35 pm »
Looks like a fun day all the same. I've got two buddies who have been out three days in a role and only seein limited deer. one miss fire. Not a bad set of rubs there. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 04:11:49 am »
How many Deer beds did You see there Greg ? Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 08:57:55 am »
Enjoyed your post Greg.  I couldn't help but think about how you happened up on everything your average hunter gatherer would need to make a bow and arrow!  turkey fletch, rawhide, sinew, cedar - what else could a caveman ask for?  :D
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 09:28:03 am »
Yes Chris its about 2700 acres to roam and quite beautiful, being public land though it gets hunted really hard.
Derik sounds like your buddies are having the same kinda luck as me finding a deer to arrow.
Quite a few bed in there Bob but you literally have to get on hands and knees to get in the olive thickets.
Yes Howard collecting raw materials is no problem, collecting the protein has been an issue this year though. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.