Author Topic: Strange Happenings, While Hunting. Stories.  (Read 25988 times)

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
Re: Strange Happenings, While Hunting. Stories.
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2014, 01:42:59 pm »
Nothing too crazy, but...

I was in a rough, hand made ground blind this fall, in the dark pre-dawn.  A small meadow in front of me, and a Douglas fir and tan oak woodland behind me. I heard some scuffling from the meadow, and the normal sounds of deer moving.  Just as it got light enough to see, a dark shape comes up the trail, small, and low to the ground.  Turns out to be a grey fox... Sweet! He comes bobbing and sniffing up into the meadow.  About 15 ft in front of me he stops dead still, and than BAM, a brush rabbit comes out of the grass and the fox just nails him in two bounds....! Wow! I love being in the woods...! Fox was so fast I couldn't believe it. Well, then the fox scents me, and he doesn't like it. So he drops the rabbit, and takes off into the woods behind me.  Never could tell why he dropped the rabbit. Here comes the scary bit... Then from the woods comes this demon gargling, howling, screetching, yapiong noise like I've never heard.  It sure got me for a second, but...

it was just that fox trying to scare me off his rabbit. Didn't work, as I was set on getting a deer, but man he made some un-holy noises!!! guess I KNOW what the fox says (bad cultural reference sorry).

End of the story, I took the rabbit home and ate him with my boy!

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2014, 11:32:28 pm »
I'll tell y'all right off the bat that my story does'nt involve any cryptozoological creatures,or spectors from the grave,but it scared the heck out of me.I was hunting one of my treestands last Nov. 2012 when I had a single doe hanging around picking up acorns. My stomach started hurtin' a little and I had the thought that I wish she would leave so I could stand up and move a little,(without scaring her off,as we had 4 doe days coming up at thanksgiving). This particular stand is hung in an ER cedar at 25' in height.( It's way up there) .I was wearing a simple safety belt(not a harness).Like I said,I was'nt feelin' too well,then, the next thing I knew,I woke up.I did'nt know what happened immediately,so I just hung there ,under my stand,but wedged under a limb.All I knew was I could'nt go up or down,and made no sense of my unique perspective,looking down through all those cedar limbs to the ground. I eventually started to focus and could see my cap and my bow on the ground,way the heck down there.It was only then,(and I have no idea how long I had been unconscious),that I was able to reach up and back and find a limb to grab hold of.I pulled around,got my feet on a limb ,then crawled back on my stand.I sat there a while till I felt I was OK,then got down to gather all I had dropped. It's kinda funny ,but the first thought I remember having was ,"Dang,I scared that old doe off". I was out there by myself,and it was'nt til a little later,I realized it could have been very bad.When I told my wife about it,she turned pale. Seeing her reaction to my story got me to thinkin',and that was when it hit me. I thanked the Lord for sparing me another day,and told my wife if my gut ever feels like that again I'll stay on the ground.    Wear your safety belts y'all,mine sure enough saved my hide.     God Bless
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 09:39:32 pm by PeteC »
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2014, 11:03:56 pm »
Its good to hear that you didn't get hurt, not everyone is so fortunate in those situations. I like to keep my feet firmly planted on the ground when I hunt. I'm sure I could tree-stand hunt safely if I ever decided to, but it just seems like every serious hunting accident you hear about somehow relates to a tree-stand. Be careful out there everyone.

mikekeswick

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2014, 10:00:33 am »
I've seen a few things that will always stay with me.
Once I was stalking through some woodland near where I used to live in Scotland and heard a warning call from a squirrel...I thought i'd been busted but I hadn't been moving so wasn't sure it was calling at me. So I stayed still and then saw a faint movement off to my right....no way! It was only a proper wildcat, I stood frozen to the spot and it walked in front of me at about 20 yards then it froze and looked in my direction. It had obviously caught my scent but couldn't see me. I spent the next 5 mins watching it in amazement. All of a sudden it decided it wanted to be somewhere lese and was literally gone in an instant. A truely beautiful animal and very, very rare in these Islands. I doubt i'll ever see one again.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2014, 11:14:58 am »
I was turkey hunting when I called in two of the biggest dumba$$, cartoon characters I'd ever encountered. I had to keep from laughing when I saw them so they wouldn't shoot me.

It was right at Daylight and I was camoed up real good off of a firecut on Public land. Heard a bird gobble and clucked softly a few times, he double gobbled and I sat back and took a little nap, waiting.

About twenty minutes later I here a "classic", yelp, yelp, yelp. And I thought to my self, ut, oh. Yep, a few minutes later, Elmer Fudd came walking down the fire cut, taking 5 steps and stop and listen, with his buddy behind him with a Lynch Box call, I was close. These two clowns were wearing those funny, Elmer Fudd looking, Michigan hats in Florida in the Spring. The front guy was carrying his shotgun at Port Arms and they would take five steps together, stop, back partner would hit the box call three times and they would do it again. I was snickering my butt off, but quietly.

They had already messed my hunt up so I would let them get a hundred yards away and Hen yelp and cut, and watch the show again. I finally got bored watching these Jokers have an exciting hunt and snuk out the back way.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2014, 02:13:19 pm »
The Wild Cat must have been really cool to see. I had to look it up to be sure what you were referencing.

http://www.scottishwildcats.co.uk/wildcat.html

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2014, 10:26:45 pm »
The Wild Cat must have been really cool to see. I had to look it up to be sure what you were referencing.

http://www.scottishwildcats.co.uk/wildcat.html

Those wildcats are mighty scarce, sad to say.  And they are famous for being ornery as all get out.  The Clan McPherson's motto is "Touch not the cat bot a glove".

Wikipedia: "Touch not the cat bot a glove. 'Bot' means without. The 'glove' of a wildcat is the pad. If the cat is 'ungloved', its claws are unsheathed. The motto serves as a warning that one should beware when the wildcat's claws are 'without a glove'. It is a reference to the historically violent nature of the clan and serves as a metaphorical warning to other clans that they should think twice before interfering with Macpherson business."

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2014, 06:13:05 am »
You don't like Kromers Eddy  :o :o :o :o ;) ? Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2014, 09:20:40 am »
That's what those are called? :Dkinda out of place when it's 78 at six in the morning. It did fit those characters, though.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?