Author Topic: Sneak peak at a snaky challenge bow!  (Read 2067 times)

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Sneak peak at a snaky challenge bow!
« on: November 30, 2013, 07:13:30 pm »
I've been doing more and more of the work on my bows with my favorite machete, and I decided I was going to see just how much of the tillering I could do on a piece of vine maple. I was going to determine my success by the number of times I had to string/unstrung/re-string the bow before cleaning the surface with a rasp, and it came out to the low brace, perfect tiller, full brace with just a shadow of a hinge, and one more full brace as a tillered bow. I scored a three  ;D

I did most of the tillering via floor tillering, pushing the limbs against the ground, but did no such thing after the first stringing as part of the challenge. After cleaning the surface there hasn't been any change in tiller, so I'm going to sand her down and give her some shine as soon as I can.

The string is four strands of fast flight plus with some left over B50 to save the knocks. It's the most not-primitive-looking string I've made, I think  ::)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: Sneak peak at a snaky challenge bow!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 08:57:21 pm »
Cool!!
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline DGF

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 09:25:44 pm »
Looks cool! Did you say 4 strands of FF+?  :o  What type of poundage you getting out of this bow?

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 10:29:36 pm »
will be nice to see it all finished up!
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 10:36:33 pm »
Last I checked it topped my fifty pound scale at 24", that's the best I can do to guess around sixty pounds since my good scale broke :-[ I'm sure the vine maple would have been cut to pieces if I hadn't put a bunch of dacron in the loop and timber hitch.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.