Author Topic: From the mouth's of babes...  (Read 4864 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

From the mouth's of babes...
« on: December 01, 2013, 03:58:52 pm »
This morning I stopped for gas when I was getting home from opening day of muzzleloader season.  In the truck next to me at the pumps was a very young and impressionable boy of about 8 years.  He was wearing camo and had some facepaint on, too.  He had a blaze orange vest on over the camo and obviously was out with Dad for some hunting.  I smiled.  Good for them.

I was wearing mocs, linen knee breeches with woolen leggings, two linen shirts under a woolen weskit (vest), a silk neckerckerchief holding the inner shirt's collar closed, and atop my head a battered black felt widebrimmed slouch hat.  Around my waist a wide leather belt with a longknife and a tomahawk protruding from the back.  I had relegated the blaze orange vest to the backseat of my Jeep since I was out of the woods.

The boy slid over to the driver's seat and asked if I was going to a costume show.  I said no, this was my hunting get-up.  The boy announced that it was muzzleloading season, proud to show he was well aware of the changing seasons.  I said, yep, it sure is.  I opened the back door of the Jeep and slid out "Perty Girl", my girlishly slim hunting companion. Curly maple, brass furniture, and a fine English flint clenched with purpose in her jaws .

"Here's my hunting partner.  I been carrying her for over 15 years.  This year I get to hunt a buck for the very first time this muzzleloading season."  His eyes were like saucers and he was about to say something when his father walked out of the convenience store with coffee and donuts.  As the father came around to the driver's door the child blurted out, "Dad!  Look!  A REAL MUZZLELOADER!!!"

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: From the mouth's of babes...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 04:42:48 pm »
Love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline RyanR

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 05:06:40 pm »
I gotta admit I am not into all the nostalgic clothing but it pisses me off they ruined our muzzleloading season with technology. I do not even muzzleload hunt any more. Maybe I shouldn't give up but it just isn't the same as it used to be. I do like the look of a percussion hawken rifle.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 05:27:20 pm »
Percussion?!?!?!   >:(

Dad gum, no-good, cheatin', new-fangled fad!  Them is girly guns, you know!  After all they got ni...well, girl parts.    ;D

The reason I hunt in the funny get-up is that it does embarrass some of the modern muzzleloader crowd to see someone doing it the hard way.  I am spitting against the tide and acknowledge I will never win.  I wonder at times if it would make more sense to lobby for the end of muzzleloading as a seperate season.  How many folks are going to fool with a single shot in-line THEN?  I will still carry my flinter, that is a given!

Offline RyanR

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 07:01:59 pm »
Percussion?!?!?!   >:(

Dad gum, no-good, cheatin', new-fangled fad!  Them is girly guns, you know!  After all they got ni...well, girl parts.    ;D

The reason I hunt in the funny get-up is that it does embarrass some of the modern muzzleloader crowd to see someone doing it the hard way.  I am spitting against the tide and acknowledge I will never win.  I wonder at times if it would make more sense to lobby for the end of muzzleloading as a seperate season.  How many folks are going to fool with a single shot in-line THEN?  I will still carry my flinter, that is a given!
JW you made me laugh. I kind of thought I might get a response on the percussion thing. I remember when I was a teenager going hunting with my dad and our harkens. I never shot a deer with it then, heck I never even seen deer with it but those are good memories. Kind of wish I could go back in time.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 07:05:15 pm »
I do too. 

Offline DQ

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 07:58:07 pm »
Great story, J-dub!  Our ML season starts this week.  I take my 15 year old grandson.  I'm not real happy with his in-line, but I love his enthusiasm.  Besides, at the end of the day he always wants to shoot my flintlock. He wants to shoot the woods walk with me next summer.  He'll come around in due time.

Good luck on your buck hunt.  Hope you shoot center!

Darryl

Offline RyanR

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 08:04:56 pm »
Great story, J-dub!  Our ML season starts this week.  I take my 15 year old grandson.  I'm not real happy with his in-line, but I love his enthusiasm.  Besides, at the end of the day he always wants to shoot my flintlock. He wants to shoot the woods walk with me next summer.  He'll come around in due time.

Good luck on your buck hunt.  Hope you shoot center!

Darryl
That's good stuff Darryl. Good luck this season. I've never shot a flintlock personally but, maybe someday.

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 08:39:53 pm »
JW it's nice to see a man not afraid to piss into the wind, hunt the way ya want to my friend, ;) bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 08:44:23 pm »
Good luck with the buck tag hope you get a big one JW you deserve it.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 05:10:32 am »
GREAT story JW ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 08:57:55 am »
OK JW now you done it !
When you gona give up them there modern guns and go to shooten a proper gun everbody knows a matchlock is way better than a rock scratcher any day !
Them there modern  inline rock scratchen thingamagigs the Bohemians invented 500 years ago have pretty much ruined hunting !
 >:D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Stay true to your heart JW !!
The truth is any thing other than a stick with a string is just not me !!
Have fun
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Stoker

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 10:59:58 am »
Funny story JW... Got my new to me flinter to late in the season.. OHHH next year... Season closed saturday... Maybe Santa will bring the boy's dad a real one....
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 10:05:04 pm »
Good luck with the buck tag hope you get a big one JW you deserve it.

Dunno if I deserve a buck, but I have been given the opportunity.  That's all I asked for, a chance.  That and some hard work, a dose of luck, and maybe it will be.

When you gona give up them there modern guns and go to shooten a proper gun everbody knows a matchlock is way better than a rock scratcher any day !
Guy

I got a matchlock on my list, you betcha. 

JW it's nice to see a man not afraid to piss into the wind, hunt the way ya want to my friend, ;) bub

That explains the smell.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 10:16:04 pm »
Nice JW , bet that little one remembers that for a long time.
I told the biys at work about the doe lost last night and they asked me why I don't I put the stone age equipment up and take one with a gun , I asked them where is the chalange in that . my boss said even the the native Americans went to steal points when they had the chance , I shruged it off , they just don't get it .