Author Topic: Cedar Arrows  (Read 6463 times)

Offline Arrowind

Cedar Arrows
« on: December 01, 2013, 09:01:20 pm »
I ordered some Cedar Shafts last year....I had them sitting in my closet for almost a year.  I didn't want to ruin them so they sat as I used poplar dowels from Lowes...which I really like. 

I finally got around to making some arrows from these shafts.  I guess I didn't really "make" them. I assembled them really.  The shafts are from Wapiti and the fletchings came from gateway feathers.  The points are just standard 125grain target points.
My wife had some metallic gold thread....I used some of it cuz I thought it would look cool.

I'm not much of an arrow maker but this was fun.

I think my camera is starting to break down.  I can't seem to get good focus on anything with this camera anymore....oh well here you go.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Blacktail

Re: Cedar Arrows
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 09:21:41 pm »
HOLY COW,those are sweet...you did a great job...i would love to see what you could do if you made them for a year...you do have a great talent...have fun shooting them...john

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 09:27:49 pm »
Thanks man!  This is the first time I have shot arrows that are both spined AND matched for weight (since I was a kid anyway) and wow I can tell a difference.  I plan to order more in th future... Thanks for your comments! 
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline neuse

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 08:43:56 am »
Those are very nice, good job.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 04:40:42 pm »
Yup, those look nice. Swell Job! dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 08:05:03 pm »
Darn nice looking arrows..............
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 10:30:46 pm »
neuse
bowtarist
Danzn Bar

Thanks!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 10:33:32 pm »
There is an OH WOW moment the first time you shoot a matched set of arrows! 

Those are fantastic looking.  Very chic, very understated but classy.  I tend to keep adding another bit of paint, a little design, a little more paint, and I end up with gaudy and tacky looking arrows that embarrass me.  Less is more and you hit the sweet spot with these!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 11:17:07 pm »
Yeah!  I love shooting these arrows.  It feels like all of a sudden I can actually shoot!

Thanks for your comments!  Actually I'm always a bit reluctant to put tons of effort, artwork etc into arrows....cuz I know I'm gonna break'm!   Otherwise I'm sure I would be adding all kinds of things!

Thanks again.  I appreciate the comment!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 08:47:00 am »
Beautiful arrows,very nice Job.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 10:13:26 am »
Thanks Pappy!

Grasshopper Mouse

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 12:52:56 pm »
Actually I'm always a bit reluctant to put tons of effort, artwork etc into arrows....cuz I know I'm gonna break'm!   

Arrows are performance art, they're only with us for a (relatively) short time.
Besides, I've found that beautiful arrows shoot just as well as ugly arrows. So why not make them beautiful?
Good job on these, you should be proud of them.

Guy

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 04:14:41 pm »
Very Nice arrows. The gold thread is a nice touch. There is something about cedar arrows that stirs the primal blood. These are beautifully simple...Nice job.
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 10:00:14 pm »
Grasshopper - Thanks!  I hear you.  I think I can go with that.   One of the reasons I've waited so long is that I wanted my shooting to get a little better.  At least I'm hitting the target MOST of the time now and as long as I'm hitting it my arrows are lasting a bit longer.   :D
These were fun to make so I'll probably be making more in the future and putting more time into them.  Thanks!

Mohawk - THANKS!

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 10:22:22 pm »
Yeah I've noticed that too. The better you shoot the longer you keep your arrows. Unfortunately the nicer you make them and the more painful it is when you loose one!  All in all though you made a nice set there!  Shoot straight!
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!