Author Topic: Primitive Agave Bowstring (abo)  (Read 1851 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Primitive Agave Bowstring (abo)
« on: December 02, 2013, 09:30:34 pm »
I posted this in the how to section just so it's there for people to go look back on but this is a video one how I make my bowstrings from natural materials. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePK2On2nk6A&feature=c4-overview&list=UU9l4lrfkOEV5iNSju5GxM_g

If double posting is a no no mods feel free to remove it.  I just know the how to section doesn't get a lot of traffic.

Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline autologus

Re: Primitive Agave Bowstring (abo)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 10:27:09 am »
Nice video very informative.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 07:38:15 am »
Great vid, but I feel I have to mention that some folks are highly allergic to the saponins in agave and can get a horrid rash from working it. It happened to me and I had no idea what was going on, only that my arms were on fire and nothing could quench it. It ended up blistering pretty bad for about a week. If you area  person that is sensitive to this, you can avoid it and still use the fibers by soaking the agave leaf in a pond or barrel of water until the fleshy part of the plant decomposes, leaving behind a thick strand of wonderful fibers.

I dig your videos and blog. Good to know there are more of us out there!!! Stay connected.
"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." Emerson

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 09:18:15 am »
Wylden, I have experienced this rash before but it only happened with one type of agave and for about half an hour.  No long term effects like you experienced.  I asked a plant expert why it was so irritating and this is what I got, "Agave often has high amounts of calcium oxalate crystals callled raphides. They are needle shaped and cause physical damage."
Thanks for watching my videos and reading the blog! I'll definitely stay connected!
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!