Author Topic: Boo backing for Hornbeam?  (Read 5152 times)

Offline Easternarcher

Boo backing for Hornbeam?
« on: December 15, 2007, 04:11:07 pm »
Guys, I recieved a 5" log of hornbeam from a friend this fall, and I offered to make him a bow from it.
Well since I've never done a true selfbow with natural back( only backed bows so far), can I use bamboo to back a slat from this hornbeam, or would hickory work better?

I'm hoping to get two bows from this log and I want to be sure that the bow reaches hunting weight AND stays together!
I don't want this guy getting a gooseegg from my inexperience as a self-bowyer. Any comments?

BTW, Merry Christmas to all and a Happy NEw Year.

Offline DanaM

Re: Boo backing for Hornbeam?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 08:01:22 pm »
I have never worked with boo but HHB is really tough stuff, I don't see why it won't work.
but I would wait for someone elses view on this. Hopefully Marc will see this, he works with HHB
on a regular basis. Good luck and post some pics for us eh.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 08:08:40 pm »
Thanks Dana, I'll be sure to do that.....
Sometime after the holidays tho.

wvfknapper

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 09:29:52 pm »
Why back it ? Just split the log and make 2 unbacked bows, hornbeam is a tough wood..............Be careful as the hornbeam in my area tends to twist as it grows and I have split 6 ft logs that twisted 90dg over the 6ft.

wvflintknapper

Rich Saffold

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 03:44:47 am »
EasternArcher,I'd make two selfbows which is what I did with my last piece of HHB..I flattened the back on mine, but I'm quite confident you could use the  wood under the bark as the back , and make the belly relatively flat..

You have two pieces so one should end up good enough for your friend..but don't put any pressure on yourself since it can diminish the fun of making the bows..

Rich

Offline markinengland

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 04:55:06 pm »
I have seen a nice couple of self hornbeam bows here in the UK. The outer surface growth ring was left as the back, a few lumps and bumps but they were nce effective bows without a backing.
Mark in England

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 06:26:25 pm »
A 5" log of HHB will make more than 2 bows. Backed or unbacked it makes excellent bows. If you have Hickory then I would back it with that before using Bamboo
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

wvfknapper

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 07:51:58 pm »
Marc or anyone else

What sets the rule for using hickory vs boo ? What type of wood is more suitable for a boo backing?

wvflintknapper

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 07:56:16 pm »
What sets the rule for using hickory vs boo ? What type of wood is more suitable for a boo backing

You usually want to use boo with a wood that is really strong in compression, such as osage or some of the tropical hardwoods, as boo has a tendency to overpower the belly wood. I have seen some nice boo-backed bows of many different species, though-keeping the bamboo really thin and/or trapping it seems to be the key to success with weaker belly woods. Easternarcher, why not make a selfbow?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 09:09:05 pm »
What sets the rule for using hickory vs boo ? What type of wood is more suitable for a boo backing

You usually want to use boo with a wood that is really strong in compression, such as osage or some of the tropical hardwoods, as boo has a tendency to overpower the belly wood. I have seen some nice boo-backed bows of many different species, though-keeping the bamboo really thin and/or trapping it seems to be the key to success with weaker belly woods. Easternarcher, why not make a selfbow?

I guess I'm afraid of messing it up! I'm also programmed to think that backing it will prevent any serious failures at draw....maybe I'm wrong.

I've never tried a selfbow, maybe I can try one, and if that don't workout then back the other de-crowned stave.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 09:29:38 pm »
If you are concerned that the bow might break on your friend, then back it with silk. Silk is easy to apply and should hold the back together.
Gordon

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 09:36:32 pm »
If you are concerned that the bow might break on your friend, then back it with silk. Silk is easy to apply and should hold the back together.

Over a sapwood back?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 09:40:09 pm »
Sure, you could put silk over a sapwood back.
Gordon

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2007, 09:49:57 pm »
I hope you guys are ready to help me out with this, cuz I never done it before....
MArc, I just looked at your build-a-long for the HHB recurve, and it is sweet! I'd like do something like that with this HHB I have!

I'll need help getting the tips to curve like that I think.  Thanks guys.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2007, 10:05:29 pm »
If you want to back with silk, I describe how to do that in my hazelnut build-a-long on page 7.
Gordon