Author Topic: 4 bows (staves) in the making  (Read 4597 times)

Glenn R.

4 bows (staves) in the making
« on: December 15, 2007, 09:59:56 pm »
Here's whats on the burner, been working on these staves this winter--the osage staves are still dropping moisture and are full length, haven't shortened to finish length yet.   
Left to Right:      Pyramid style flatbow--wild cherry,  osage-ELB,  osage--snakey bow,  Osage--biased ringed. 

Have dropped more hedge trunks this past week. Building these bows is becoming addicting---is there a selfbow builders anonymous class for addicted bowyers? I think I'm falling behind on work here around home--Ha.  ;D

Offline medicinewheel

Re: 4 bows (staves) in the making
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 10:45:47 pm »

glenn! - this side here actually IS bowyers anonymous class...  ;D ;D ;D ;D
really nice staves there!
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 10:07:49 am »
Frank beat me to it - was gonna say the same thing. We get to tell all our successes and failures right here and somebody always listens ;D. Nice staves!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 10:59:29 am »
Glenn, that is great. Those staves are starting to look like bows. I've been breaking and making bows since the late 80's early 90's. I've probably made close to 200 bows by now. I must have 35-40 in different pars of my house. I've given some away. What a great hobby this is! Like I need another bow. I'm working on a hickory bow right now. Just taking my time and enjoying the journey. I've had it to full draw but I'm fussing and fiddling with it. I really love making selfbows. I can tell that you do too. In fact, we all do here! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 11:31:26 am »
Glenn, Looks like you have some fun coming up.  ;)  I'm looking forward to seeing your results. 8)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 11:48:17 am »
Looks like some nice staves, what are the dimensions on the cherry? width at fades and tips?, length?
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 04:17:53 pm »
Good loking staves! I can think of worse habits to have, that's what I tell my wife. I personally think it's a great addiction to have.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline PeteC

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 09:00:28 pm »
I  hear you Glenn,we've been going through an inside and out remodel of our place,and here was my weekend.Got all major appliances placed and hooked up.Installed new kitchen sink,stabbed the last toilet,hung one door, hung a bifold door,put together some barstools.Put in a new microwave over the stove,and more,BUT,most importantly,I got 2 coats of tru-oil,and the handle wraps cut for 3 osage bows that have to be ready before Christmas.Dang,I even got tired typing all that.HaHa! God Bless and merry CHRISTmas to you all,  PeteC
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 06:23:30 am »
Nice looking bunch of stave's,I do the same thing sometimes I am in the mood to rough out bow and sometime tiller and the on occasion finish one.I must have 20 in the works and maybe some
day I will finish them.You are right it is additive. :) ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 09:16:59 am »
Good looking staves Gleen. Making selfbows is a great addiction to have, don't fight it! You're at the right place.  :)

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Glenn R.

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 02:33:06 pm »
Felt myself needing to make another trip to the woods / another day well spent.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Glenn R.

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 02:35:27 pm »
was actually about 4 days ago--right before the big snow, figured I better get it while I could drive my truck in close.

Glenn R.

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 02:51:04 pm »
DanaM,     I left the cherry stave a little heavy for now, plan on making it 68"ntn and 2-1/4" at fade and 5/8" at nock, backed with rawhide---shooting for maybe 65# finish draw weight.   The stave as is has about 1-1/2" of reflex to it--thought about sinew but I'd kinda like to use rawhide and put some artwork on the backing.    Glenn

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 02:55:33 pm »
I feel the need ta get out in the woods all the time to kill trees - think I'll give it a break for awhile though :). That's some nice straight sage ya got there to boot, looks like some still standing behind your truck - sharpen up that saw and hit er again ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 08:06:36 pm »
Hi  my name is Danny and I am a bowaholic.  and the group responds "Hi Danny" lol  Nice looking staves there brother. I can think of a lot more habits that are more destructive. Glad your getting in the groove. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God