Author Topic: Old Apache deer hunting tactics.  (Read 20479 times)

Offline Marks

Re: Old Apache deer hunting tactics.
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2014, 10:21:26 am »
I don't think I'd use it during gun season. Since deer and elk can't see orange can you put something orange on your decoy to help with that?

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2014, 11:18:07 am »
Please don't use a decoy if you think its going to be dangerous. My decoy is just the neck and head (Heads Up decoy) not the full body version. I can hold it in my bow arm when stalking - otherwise its just tucked under my arm or in my pack.

I haven't been somewhere that I have been concerned that I am going to get taken out by a poacher. I would never use a decoy during any kind of firearm season even if it has orange on it. Some numb skull would still shoot it.

Just yesterday I was able to close the distance from about 125 yards to 50 yards on some cow elk in a bull only hunting area. I was just practicing with the decoy to see how close I could get. I haven't had a chance to see a bulls reaction to it.

Patrick

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2014, 12:08:52 pm »
We'll see how it goes this year. I'll be equipped with a mini-camera (go-pro type) and give it a go.
Forever making arrows!

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2014, 02:48:07 pm »
I crawl up on deer pretty regular and they will see me. I get down and then come back up with my wrist against my head and my hands poking out the sides like a set of ears. I putt my elbows close together and look at them, I even move my "ears" around a little. Cock them out the sides of your head at an angle to imitate the angle of a dears ears. They calm right down after they have Identified you as a deer. I crawl up to within 50 yards or so of them in wheat stubble. When they look up and cock their ears at you, you just give them the ears again. This works really well and consistantly.Just imitate the speed and motion of the deer you are crawling up on. I get some really good pictures with this method.   '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

mikekeswick

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2015, 02:31:35 pm »
Does nobody stalk barefooted? It's like cheating!
Some really interesting stories there. Thanks for an entertaining read everybody  :)

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2015, 04:56:36 pm »
Well here's the story. I did it again but in a whole different area. 8) So my brother and I spot two does and a forked horn buck on a distant ridge. I instructed my brother to hand signal if and when I spook the deer when crossing a thick patch of cat-claw and cactus. I literally had to draw my knife out to chop a few cactus pads out of my way a few times. I cross onto the same ridge with the deer. I glance back and my bro gives it an OK. They're still there!
I'm not dressed in camo just normal everyday wear. Jeans and a gray hoodie sweater.
So now I'm 250yds down hill in plain sight with scattered cover. I step forward with the bow overhead and sway the "horn" to get the does attention. They immediately notice and give a stare down for a few minutes. I look thru my binos and see that they're looking straight at me. In a crouched position I move forward, to mimick a feeding animal I pluck the brush. I look back up at the deer for a few more minutes and then they relax!!!!!! Wow. I now know I have'em. Body language tells all. I keep at it until I reach 60 yds. The wind is in my favor the whole time. The deer are located on a slope above me. I had to add that during this whole time I'm taking my time. Moving from bush to bush in a slow zig-zag pattern. If you ever notice a feeding beef cow in the open range it never feeds in a direct path. It just kinda in and out, no real pattern when feeding. In my part of the country, cattle and deer are the norm.
By now the two does are visible but the buck had bedded. I could not see where he had gone but since they're rutting I assume he was nearby. The weird thing about this is, I could literally get away with movement and noise. I'm at 30yds and moving parallel with the feeding does. Looking up occasionally and scanning for the buck. At this time my arrow is nocked and ready. I move around a Jojoba bush into a clear pathway. I scan once more and there he is. At 20yds!! He's scanning left to right looking for his gals. I side step to my left into a shooting path. The does are to my left and the buck on my right. Only thing I see is his antler tips moving thru the bush.
I get ready............here he comes.........draw.....release and MISS. Shot too far forward just missing his brisket. At 18yds I was thrilled to have fooled'em again. I wanted to capture it on my camera but it was so much of a hassle messing with the camera I left it.
I think the thing I noticed the second time during my approach which I did not notice the first time was distance. IMO you need to have enough SAFE distance and time for the deer to determine if your a danger. Needless to say I never got a deer this year.
But I tell you what, it was such a great feeling to stalk these group of deer in front of an audience. My bro neph and another on-looker.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 10:24:05 am by RabidApache »
Forever making arrows!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2015, 08:48:34 pm »
Woohoo!  Heck of a story!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2015, 10:08:26 am »
Yup Thanks. Next year I plan to make a head dress and see the results.
Forever making arrows!

Offline Marks

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2015, 02:55:47 pm »
You need one of those horse head masks I've seen on TV

Offline sleek

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2015, 08:30:10 pm »
Well I tried walking with my bow on my head towards four deer. They let me get 150 yards and decided I was too ugle to be a cow and bolted. Rats, foiled again. So walkin barefoot on freezing ground I made my way slowly towards a trail crossing only to have them see me and run again. I was crouched and moving slow with wind in my favor. I finally nested in tall grass and never saw them again. Ill try again tomorrow.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Marks

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2015, 10:00:24 am »
Well I tried walking with my bow on my head towards four deer. They let me get 150 yards and decided I was too ugle to be a cow and bolted. Rats, foiled again. So walkin barefoot on freezing ground I made my way slowly towards a trail crossing only to have them see me and run again. I was crouched and moving slow with wind in my favor. I finally nested in tall grass and never saw them again. Ill try again tomorrow.
Did you moo. Try mooing. Oh and video it so we can see.  >:D

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2015, 10:30:58 am »
You need one of those horse head masks I've seen on TV
[/quote
Nope, I rather make my own. I've seen some old deer masks in a couple books before, not just Apache but other tribes. I now know exactly how and what it was used for. Pretty awesome trick.

Forever making arrows!

Offline sleek

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2015, 12:33:02 pm »
Did you moo. Try mooing. Oh and video it so we can see.  >:D

Good idea! Ill try that.I will try and video it. Maybe have my wife with me, dressed as a heifer. She can record.

Offline sleek

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2015, 08:23:14 pm »
Didnt even see a deer today. But I think I figured out how to sound like a quadruped. Take the same step with each foot twice. I was able to get literally 3 feet from field mice wolking slow, barefoot, double stepping like that. Boy is it slow going but thats the point. Sneak up on a mouse and I think thats good.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2015, 11:15:43 am »
   Hay RABITAPACHE one of my golds in life is to kill a cou's buck. With a selfbow ofcource Well I'm 53 and diabetic have AR so my times coming closer a lot faster than I' want.

Your ruts my off season so Lets trade a hunt. Can't promass you a thing HUNTINGS HUNTING. But you'll see bucks in the 120's,130's We see a 140' er every now and them. I Have 3 farms and a couple smaller places. I HAVE CONTROL OF half manged one for 11 years. LOTS OF BEANS CORN ALFA ALL AROUND THESE FARMS OR PLACES. WE CAN HUNT BUT IT'S POPULATERED. But the bucks are here.

My youngest son BRIER 14 teen the second evening of our rifle season. Missed a 5 1/2 20 wide 8 point at least 250 pounds. Had half of the right side broken off. He was 100 yards I had him in the bio's at the shot. Making a scrape. Brier shot the buck just looked around. I haven't shot a buck with a rifle since 05.  Here we have a 71/2 big 6 point I saw him 4 or 5 times through the years he's 300#'s easy.

But if I'd been the shooter he'd been dead.

And if you gobbler hunt I'm your man. I learned from grandaddy He hunted 88 springs in a row. He shot gunned 312 gobblers. Ad did start counting to into the 30's. Up untill then him and his twin brother justr shot them for food. I've killed 39 with a shotgun and 15 selfbow kills. I'll call you one up or if you chose you do the calling. WE'LL SEE 15 TO 20 GOBBLERS OUT IN THE FIELDS struting. My best morning I saw 29 gobblers that morning and arrowed a 2 year with a TEXAS CHERT point.

4 Times I had jakes wip up on and jake decoy. Before this  2 year old one came to show his domance.
 This farm I live on has a good 100 birds on it. And I have 3 other farms I can bow only. I've arrowed gobblers at all these places.  Well be along on them all. So Maybe we can work something out that way.

I'm perty poor so I'd just camp some where. May bring my son Brier He's missed 3 deer with his self bow. But a 14 he likes to rifle hunt. We all likely took that trail. Maybe a week or so. I'd deside after I got there.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING