Author Topic: from file to knife  (Read 41889 times)

Offline Aaron H

Re: from file to knife
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2014, 12:24:25 pm »
That's a beauty

Offline BryanR

« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2014, 10:32:04 pm »
Thanks Kevin!  Would have never tried something like this, but you made it look so easy.  The hickory slat works great for sanding too......  Here's  mine - 3.5" blade with oak handles.

Bryan

Offline BrianS

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2018, 08:30:39 am »
Thank you for putting together this post. I have just started fooling around "assembling" a couple of knives using blade blanks. Next step for me will be making a blade from a file. Thank you again  for taking the time to post this.
Brian

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2018, 11:41:21 pm »
Great build along!  Even I might be able to make a knife blade, since I have all the tools - now for time and space!  Btw, Brian, your knife loos good, too.  Thanks!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2018, 01:05:13 pm »
   K.Halverson hasn't been logged in since July 2016...Has anyone heard from him...Hope we haven't lost him from the site...
                                    Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2018, 01:38:23 pm »
I hope he comes back and shares some knowledge on the new forge section.  I learned a lot from his posts. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2018, 06:41:29 pm »
 Clint, I emailed him about "At the Forge"...He said he would check back in and see what's going on...
                                                                                                                                                   Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2018, 07:33:44 pm »
Good deal!  I hope you post some of your work also.  Now that we have a dedicated space I would love to see some new projects posted.   I saw one of KHalversons railroad spike hatchets in person.  I want to try to copy it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2018, 08:01:30 pm »
   Clint, I was fortunate enough to have one of his hawk heads from a spike...Here's the link http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,44219.0.html   I gave it to friend and wish I had another one...I do make knives at times but I don't forge, I use 154cm stock...
                                                                                                                          Don
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 08:10:57 pm by burchett.donald »

Offline Stoner

« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2018, 10:28:34 am »
First off Kevin thank you for a build-a-long that even a stone carver can do. I have some pallet wood that stone came in from over seas. What they call pallet/crate wood, is precious to us. Can't get anymore though, customs has it incinerated now because of invasive species. I also have some old files an rasps from Italy, Germany & the US. that I use on stone. We re-sharpen the teeth by dipping in acid and neutralize in baking soda. Some now are too far gone, but I can't seem to let them go because they were handed down from my stone carving mentor. Now I have a avenue to put them back in use, Thank you.

A couple question on the brass pins. 1) Do you score/scratch the brass to give the epoxy something to grab a hold of ?  2) How much clearance in the scale holes for the brass pins ?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2018, 02:23:06 pm »
This is one of the easiest to understand and follow build alongs for simple knives I have ever seen. Thanks, Kevin.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2018, 06:18:00 pm »
First off Kevin thank you for a build-a-long that even a stone carver can do. I have some pallet wood that stone came in from over seas. What they call pallet/crate wood, is precious to us. Can't get anymore though, customs has it incinerated now because of invasive species. I also have some old files an rasps from Italy, Germany & the US. that I use on stone. We re-sharpen the teeth by dipping in acid and neutralize in baking soda. Some now are too far gone, but I can't seem to let them go because they were handed down from my stone carving mentor. Now I have a avenue to put them back in use, Thank you.

A couple question on the brass pins. 1) Do you score/scratch the brass to give the epoxy something to grab a hold of ?  2) How much clearance in the scale holes for the brass pins ?
[/quot

I don't scratch or score the pins,
I use a #30 I believe it is   # drill that drills a .130 diameter hole which is 5 thousandths of an inch larder than the 1/8 diameter pins.

Offline Stoner

« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2018, 07:08:56 pm »
Thanks for the reply. When I finish with my new shop here in OK. I will definitely be putting this new to me knowledge to work. By the way I use to live in Freeland, MI., east on M-46. Go Blue!  John

Offline JEB

« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2018, 07:29:31 pm »
YUP, Kevin is a generous guy. When he saw no-one was doing a "how to" on making fire strikers he contacted me and told me he would help me out. Kevin lives just 30 miles from me so it will be a short drive for my lessons.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2018, 10:23:26 am »
This is a great build along! Thanks for taking the time to guide us along.
Eric