Author Topic: from file to knife  (Read 41908 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: from file to knife
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2018, 11:42:04 am »
Maybe a post on simple fire strikers?  Self operating?  I need a left handed model,though! >:D
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2018, 07:21:34 pm »
Bryce can you have this put at the top so it stays there? It's a good build along.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2018, 07:26:24 pm »
  I agree, needs to be a Sticky...Well documented build...
                                                                                      Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline DV IN MN

« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2018, 03:32:31 pm »
Kevin,

I have a couple of questions, does the length of time to temper change due to thickness? I assume the only way to really tell if it is tempered is by the file test. I assume an outdoor gas grill will work provided you can get it up to temp and hold that temp for a long enough period of time.
Great tutorial.

Thanks

Offline bubby

« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2018, 03:40:36 pm »
When tempering you are actually slightly softening the steel so that it isn't brittle. I clean my knife well before tempering and try for a light straw color when done
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2018, 03:54:55 pm »
Kevin,

I have a couple of questions, does the length of time to temper change due to thickness? I assume the only way to really tell if it is tempered is by the file test. I assume an outdoor gas grill will work provided you can get it up to temp and hold that temp for a long enough period of time.
Great tutorial.

Thanks

I would think so if its very thick like 1/2 inch or above
I dont change the time I temper for knife thickness steel .
i suppose a gas grill would work.
just dont rely on the grill thermometer.use more than 1 temperature measuring device.

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2018, 03:57:07 pm »
When tempering you are actually slightly softening the steel so that it isn't brittle. I clean my knife well before tempering and try for a light straw color when done
[/quote

good advice.
any residual oil will give u a false reading if tempering by color.
ever notice how just a finger print turns blue while the rest of the blade is straw?

Offline DV IN MN

« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2018, 05:16:32 pm »
OK. I picked up a bunch of old bastard mill files at garage sales just for this purpose and some old radial arm saw blades. Will the saw blades steel work also? I would assume that I could cut the profile for all of them and heat/temper them all at the same time and then work on them as I get time.

Offline bubby

« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2018, 05:48:42 pm »
Yes Kevin I have done that exact thing. A little acetone works wonders
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2018, 02:21:01 pm »
OK. I picked up a bunch of old bastard mill files at garage sales just for this purpose and some old radial arm saw blades. Will the saw blades steel work also? I would assume that I could cut the profile for all of them and heat/temper them all at the same time and then work on them as I get time.

I wouldn't temper the saw blades with the files.
I would almost wager that a sharp file will cut the saw blades as is.
in my experience saw steel is really unpredictable especially the stuff made in the last 20 years.
the old buzz rig or saw mill blades will make great knives if you have the tools and knowledge to anneal shape and reharden then temper.

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2021, 07:39:04 pm »
ttt.
for paulc

Offline paulc

« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2021, 10:22:26 pm »
Thanks Kevin