Stone
0 (0%)
Homemade
4 (11.1%)
Whats a drawknife
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: January 15, 2008, 03:16:19 pm

Author Topic: Drawknives  (Read 4428 times)

wvfknapper

Drawknives
« on: December 16, 2007, 03:16:19 pm »
Hey, I was just curious as to what type drawknife you guys prefer , I know I was always fond of the sway back knives, seem to cut better and have more controll.

Cold and Snowing here
wvflintknapper

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Drawknives
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 03:30:43 pm »
I only have straight bladed draw knives. One is an old commercial knife that my father-in-law bought from a flea mkt years ago and the other was made by a friend just a few years ago. I would like to try a curved balded knife and am sure both straight and curved knives have their place.
   I have played a little with stone scrapers and such and find them very effective. One day I will make a bow with just stone tools.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 04:44:03 pm »
I've actually got a sway-backed and a straight.  I can put a killer edge on the straight one but the curved or sway-backed is a little trickier. 

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Minuteman

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 05:06:24 pm »
I have 4 or 5 different ones. Of the 2 I use regularly, one is straight and one is curved both up and down and back to the handles. The straight I use for hoggin off wood and bark, the curved is good for chasing rings on osage. I can't quit buying those dern things!

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 05:19:51 pm »
I borrowed a curved blade draw knife from a friend and I loved it. I bought a staight blade at a logging supply store and it is not as percise as the curved. Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 07:26:21 pm »
I have one with a curved blade, and one with a straight blade. They both work great.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 07:59:24 pm »
.........Like hillbilly said....bob

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 09:29:11 pm »
  I've got 4.I prefer the straight blade.Like Minuteman, I buy almost everyone I see at flea markets and yard sales.The last one was $5.I have a friend that makes knives making me one out of Damascus.Then I'll become a Drawknife Snob. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 11:22:56 am »
You would think the curved blade would help you dig into shallow dips slightly better, but in practice it seems not to make much difference.

For chasing a ring I would suggest a knife around 8", it puts your hands closer to the blade and lets you have a little better control.  For hogging bark and sapwood, a larger knife is good for better leverage and keeps you from busting knuckles.

I scarf up used drawknives wherever I go, its a sickness.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 12:00:01 pm »
I use a sway back one for everything (only one I own) had a straight back and gave it to brother..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 12:15:31 pm »
I use a curved bladed knife for heavy work and a Swedish knife for scraping and chasing rings. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 01:23:52 pm »
I use both depending on the stave.If it is flat witch is hardly ever the case for me I use the flat
if there is a lot of dip and dives as Lennie said I use the curve,I have several of each,just depends on what I am doing.A good draw knife along with a good scraper make chasing a ring pretty easy work ,most times. :) If I could only have one it would probably be the straight. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good