Author Topic: price help hickory stave  (Read 4545 times)

TAGGERD

price help hickory stave
« on: December 16, 2007, 04:28:33 pm »
hello in my hometown there is a fellow that makes bows his name is beecroft.i am going to see if i can buy a couple of hickory staves from him and was wondering what the average price of a stave is .he claims to make 1800 bows a year so i hope he will have some good wood.any help would be app.

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
Re: price help hickory stave
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 04:39:55 pm »
I've never bought a stave, but you can find them on the internet for $30-$50 and less. 

I bought a hickory blank and Bamboo back strip from Rudder Bows and I think it was $37 plus shipping. 

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Minuteman

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 05:14:13 pm »
1800 a year? ??? Five days a week workin thats 260 days a year,..... 1800 divided by 260 is roughly 7 bows a day. :o Does he have mexicans locked in his basement makin them for him? Workin seven days a week its still 5 a day.
 He enjoys his exaggerations! Or he's a VERY prolific bowyer!
 I wouldn't pay for bow wood ever but if ya gotta buy it I'd try to stay in the 20 to 30 dollar range for a good piece of hikree.

TAGGERD

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 05:37:36 pm »
i think it is what he does for a living.he sales on ebay and stickbow i think his name is john beecroft

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 05:51:07 pm »
...........Be careful Taggerd. Wood bows have ta essentially be handmade...............bob

Offline rudderbows

• Rudderbows Archery
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 08:46:18 pm »
Beecroft is most likely not exagerating. If you have ever visited or workd in a commercial cabionet shop or a furniture shop you might have seen how many parts are cut out in a short period of time. machinery makes all the difference. Its not primitive but once a man gets the feel of a certian machine they can move pretty quick. A power tool can get rid of 95% of the material that is not a bow and leave just what is needed to be hand tillered off. two guys in a shop with some commercial powqer tools can really cut allot of material.
You guys have the best Christmas EVER!! 

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 09:23:14 pm »
   My wife's cousin has a cabinet shop.Does all the custom work for the Scientology offices in Clearwater,Fl.Every piece of equipment has laser's and computers.You just program them and they go to work.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 09:37:44 pm »
$30 would be a fair price for a hickory stave.  A hickory board is typically $8/board foot, maybe a premium for the right grain.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 06:31:38 am »
When we sell them it is usually between 30 and 50 depending on the quality stave.Hickory
is fine wood but I have seen some awful looking stave s sold. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

TAGGERD

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 07:46:16 pm »
thanks,very helpful.