Author Topic: Cheap ($ ) outdoor bowyers vice  (Read 9287 times)

Glenn R.

Cheap ($ ) outdoor bowyers vice
« on: December 17, 2007, 03:27:22 pm »
Guys, last year I wrote a story for our newsletter (united bowhunters of illinois) about an outdoor bowyers vice I made from a scrap telephone pole. I used my chain saw to cut out a thumb section--plunge cut and shape to make a tongue hinge. Mounted the pole in the ground in concrete. Drilled holes/ used rebar for hinge pin/ welded a spinner hanle and a 'T' on the back of the 5/8" all thread which lies in a shallow cut in back (keeps it from turning). used an old over shock coil spring as a return spring--as you un-screw spinner handle thumb opens up. cut various sizes of grooves inbetween jaws to hold very large splits down to small stave. This allows me to keep all the bark and biggest mess out in the woods reducing to a clean workable stave. sturdy enough you can use an axe to knock down bark/ sap wood quick. I think I got 20 dollars invested in the whole thing counting the bagged concrete.   Anyway----thought it might give you some ideas on a homemade vice.    Glenn.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Glenn R.

Re: Cheap ($ ) outdoor bowyers vice
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 03:31:06 pm »
Oh yeah, I found out the hard way----keep the threads well oiled with some old motor oil--dry and to much torque will gall the threads.  ;)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 04:18:38 pm »
Glenn I moved it here as you can see, thanks for posting this its a great idea.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 05:13:35 pm »
Cool! The only thing better than cheap is free.Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya