Author Topic: This cedar worth getting  (Read 1296 times)

Offline DLH

This cedar worth getting
« on: December 16, 2013, 11:07:26 pm »
I may be able to get a straight piece of Erc I haven't got to check  it out for knots or anything but will if you guys think it's worthwhile. It was in my front yard and one of my father in laws workers pushed it out with a dozer the root ball is still intact and the needles are green but I don't figure that means much. It's been down two months max. I'm wondering if it has started to decay too much and worth cutting and splitting for bow wood? I can post pics tomorrow if that helps.

Thanks,

Daniel

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
Re: This cedar worth getting
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 11:17:30 pm »
ERC is pretty rot resistant - if it was pushed out and still has the root ball on it, I am betting it is ok.  If it doesn't have a bunch on knots probably worth getting IMO.
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 11:21:28 pm »
  I picked up some erc in Mississippi about 2 years after katrina blew it down. It was fine.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 11:23:58 pm »
If the needles are still green the tree is still alive and the wood should be OK. Only the heartwood is rot resistant but you can make a good bow from just sapwood of ERC.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DLH

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 12:13:55 am »
Ok thanks I have read the heart wood is rot resistant but wasn't sure about the sapwood and wanted to double check. Should I get the bark off seal back and ends as normal or leave the bark on? Will conifers bark peel this time of year or is it the same as deciduous trees?

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 01:17:51 am »
I'd leave the bark on and spray it for bugs.
Anywhere you damage the bark it will be likely to weep Resin.
The stuff is as bad as Pine Sap...

The ERC I've dealt with peels easy.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX