Author Topic: The Iowan Path  (Read 306620 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: The Iowan Path
« Reply #1080 on: August 16, 2020, 07:58:46 am »
Great to hear from you again John.

Whole different perspective of things when viewed from a small plane. I still remember my first ride probably close to 50 years ago. I was hooked. After I got out of electronics school a old timer I knew gave me a little help. He was the one I got my first ride from when I was a kid. He got me to where I was pretty close to ready to solo. Then I took lessons and got my private pilot single engine fixed wing Aircraft rating. A few years later we flew his plane to Florida and he got his sea plane rating. I went up with his instructor in a J-3 cub on floats. Man still puts a huge smile on my face every time I think of it.
I you ever get a chance to fly on floats don’t pass it up.

Bjrogg

A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #1081 on: August 16, 2020, 10:34:36 am »
That's funny. I worked for the telephone company and travelled a lot by small float planes, Beavers and 180's mostly. I've got hundreds of hours as a passenger but I've never been in a small plane on wheels.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1082 on: August 16, 2020, 04:37:03 pm »
That's funny. I worked for the telephone company and travelled a lot by small float planes, Beavers and 180's mostly. I've got hundreds of hours as a passenger but I've never been in a small plane on wheels.

They certainly are two different birds DC. I have mostly taken off and landed on grass. Which is quite different from pavement, but not nearly as much so as water. Just taxi alone is totally different. Was a unique experience for me.

Bjrogg

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #1083 on: August 16, 2020, 04:54:46 pm »
Very cool John, been missing you and wondering what you have been up to, I see now you been busy as usual. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DC

« Reply #1084 on: August 16, 2020, 05:36:51 pm »
My first trip was in a Beaver and I was sitting in the jump seat at the back. As we were taxiing out of the river mouth the pilot was testing the controls but he kept looking out the window at the back of the plane. After a little of that he throttled back, turned around to me and said," Right behind you there's a compartment. If you look in there you'll find a parachute. If I give you the nod will you pass it up to me." Then he hit the throttle and we were off ;D

Offline iowabow

« Reply #1085 on: August 17, 2020, 01:30:49 pm »
DC thats a funny story.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #1086 on: August 17, 2020, 02:39:49 pm »
Just trying to make you feel comfortable DC
Bjrogg

Offline DC

« Reply #1087 on: August 18, 2020, 12:00:44 am »
Another pilot picked me up and as we taxied away he mentioned that the plane felt a little heavy. We taxied for about a half mile and finally he said, "Well, I guess I'll just have to make it lighter." He reached forward and pushed a button on the dash that said "Lighter" and the plane popped out of the water. Funny guys these pilots ;)

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #1088 on: September 17, 2020, 01:44:46 pm »
Just checking in.....I found this thread today and I can see that I have some serious reading ahead of me to get caught up!  I live in Iowa and have been flintknapping and building primitive bows for about 30 years.  Just made some new wood arrows and some chert points this past week that I am planning on assembling over the weekend.  Planning on using a new maple bow that I built this spring. 

Matt

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1089 on: September 19, 2020, 09:20:15 am »
Just checking in.....I found this thread today and I can see that I have some serious reading ahead of me to get caught up!  I live in Iowa and have been flintknapping and building primitive bows for about 30 years.  Just made some new wood arrows and some chert points this past week that I am planning on assembling over the weekend.  Planning on using a new maple bow that I built this spring. 

Matt

Good luck with the new maple bow! Start a thread in the Bows section and post some pics and details, we always love to see what others are doing!

Iowabow does not come in often these days, but he's still live and kicking!  I am hoping to nag him into doing an event at his new workshop come spring, if it is sensible to do so. He's come out to the Black Hills for my camp often enough, I need to head his way for a change.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #1090 on: March 26, 2024, 07:12:31 pm »
Been real busy but thought I would pop in and say hi everyone. Just to catch everyone up on my life: finished my pilots license and as negotiated with Annette, I remodeled the house (new roof, siding and new interior). I hired some of the work but did all of the interior work including real hardwood floors. I am still hunting, Knapping , and developing out our creative space (park). Just bought more land to the west and dismantling the three really old mobile homes that were no longer inhabited. It’s more work than I thought to take them down with the tractor. I really need a backhoe with a finger thing on it. Just got off the phone with JW and might fly down if the weather cooperates to the classic. Lots of project with the woods this spring coming and planting potatoes next week. Bees are going crazy and dogwoods are blooming here in Iowa. Plan to do a few outdoor adventures with the plane this summer like the one in this video landing at lake Showme in Missouri https://youtu.be/t7pYO68gI9s?feature=shared.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #1091 on: March 27, 2024, 09:25:47 am »
Great to hear from you John, glad to hear all is going well. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #1092 on: March 27, 2024, 10:12:20 am »
Great to hear from you, John. Hoping to see you at the Classic in a few weeks.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC