Author Topic: The Iowan Path  (Read 314671 times)

Offline iowabow

Re: The Iowan Path
« Reply #975 on: June 10, 2017, 11:53:20 am »
Thanks guys here are a couple pictures now that the bricks and wood have been moved.
Annette put her touch to it as well about 30 mins ago.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #976 on: June 10, 2017, 11:55:32 am »
It's all looking so good, John.  I can only see one thing you are missing in the bow building area and that is "Osage is King" on the backboard at the tillering tree.  :OK
Yep going to burn it into a piece of osage  :OK
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 12:04:56 pm by iowabow »

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #977 on: June 10, 2017, 12:04:32 pm »
beautiful place
relax inspiring  :OK

Stringman

« Reply #978 on: June 11, 2017, 10:58:08 am »
Great work John! This place shaped up into a class A structure. Must feel good to have it at the "enjoy" phase and know how much effort in and money saved.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #979 on: June 15, 2017, 06:00:36 am »
Thanks Scott.
I have been working hard this summer to build out the beekeeping project, this is a lot more involved and demanding of my time than I expected. However, after this week I should be able to step back for a couple weeks and let the bees do their honey production thing.
The weeks ahead are filled with fun activities and knapping opportunities, on Saturday will be doing a demo for the Burlington community and on monday for a Native American college course and I might do a knappin in mo thats coming up. On saturday afternoon Paul and I will continue work on the bows we started and I hope to start building hunting arrows for the points I have made this year. On the 24th we have a gathering of people and that should be great fun. It feels good to set the project list aside for awhile and slow down.
The garden is starting to come up real good next to the bees. I am hoping the bees will help keep the unwanted creatures at bay. We got a little rain yesterday but the ground is still really dry. The blackberries are looking real good this year and the bees most likely had a hand in their success.
Looking forward to deer hunting, the population has recovered well from the blue tongue disease that swept through this region a few years ago.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 07:36:35 am by iowabow »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #980 on: June 15, 2017, 06:53:50 am »
Everything looks real good John. Those bees should help keep you cupboards stocked between the honey and pollinating your garden. Love your work shed
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #981 on: June 16, 2017, 06:42:21 am »
That is looking great, time to set back and enjoy some of yall's labor. I can tell you from experience you will never be done  ??? so you just have to take some time to enjoy from time to time ,also enjoy the process of seeing things come together and improve, at least that is what keeps me motivated as I am sure it does you. Great job John.  ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline iowabow

« Reply #982 on: June 17, 2017, 07:09:16 pm »
Pappy you are so right no sooner did we get the pavers layed on the little shelter we expanded it to twice its size.

Had a great couple days here at the place. Went fishing yesterday at the back  pond that we repaired a couple years ago. I caught a crappie and did not know they were in there so that was a surprise. While there I had to place a trap on the dam. Something big is digging a hole into the backside of the dam.

Today was demo day for family fest.  A hunting point was the goal for an arrow that I am working on. I had a good group of kids and they ask some really fun question this year. I tried  someting new this time. I arrived early and knocked out a biface and saved the flakes. I used the flakes and and biface as a puzzle for the kids to put together. One young kid spent an hour studing it and just about finshed it before he had to go.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #983 on: June 17, 2017, 09:08:13 pm »
Very cool John love seeing all those kids.
Bjrogg

Offline chamookman

« Reply #984 on: June 18, 2017, 02:40:37 am »
Good job  :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #985 on: June 20, 2017, 03:29:11 am »
Nice point and looks like you had the full attention of those kids. Ya unless you intend it to be your personal work shop, and even then you need to think about expansions as you build, it will sure make things easier in the future, Wished I had thought of that way back when. Always a bunch of banjo work that has to be done when we add on to something because we didn't think about it when we first started. That place of yours is really looking nice, yall have done a great job and will get years of enjoyment out of it. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #986 on: June 20, 2017, 03:51:10 pm »
I literally CANNOT WAIT to see this beautiful place in person this weekend.  I'm sitting here at working just imagining it.  :)

OneBow

Offline iowabow

« Reply #987 on: June 25, 2017, 03:32:05 pm »
We had a real nice gathering this weekend with a great group of guys. This was our first official bow gathering for our small band of bow makers.  Eric was able to combine a work travel week with a weekend at our new site. He was our first guest to camp out and set up his own workshop.  It was impressive to see him produce wooden spoons one of which he gifted to Annette and an atalatl handle that we all took turns launching a dart at a deer target.
    We got to see how the space functioned with everyone working on different projects at the same time. Paul came in early and worked on his bow, Tim and Ben started new ones. Sam came with his bow and did a lot of target shooing. I even sat my butt down, worked on my bow, knapped a hunting point and built two arrows for fall deer hunting (I almost never have a full quiver on opening day). We all had a nice cook out on the fire and great tasting smoked brisket that Eric brought. We had about 9 or 10 people flow through and that was perfect for a first run on the place.
It was good to see people using the place.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #988 on: June 25, 2017, 03:35:54 pm »
The spoon found its way to the "she shed" Eric.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #989 on: June 25, 2017, 08:55:17 pm »
Looks like a great weekend John.
Bjrogg