Author Topic: The Iowan Path  (Read 314859 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: The Iowan Path
« Reply #180 on: February 16, 2014, 07:21:03 pm »
Cool stuff going on!  That anvil looks like a dandy!  Josh

Offline Ninja

« Reply #181 on: February 17, 2014, 02:04:58 am »
I too am looking forward to Iowa Jam in March.  While out of the state this winter I collect some 4 to 5 inch diameter bamboo.  I hope to get some tips in March as to how to use it to back a bow.  There sould be plenty to trade.  I cut it just before the first of the year in Louisiana. It should be cured by March. It is just now loosing the green color here in Arizona.  Any suggestions on handling and processing?

You need to rip it with a table saw on the sides just so you get past the hollow area inside. Its hard to explain so a little common sense is required as well as the finesse of your hands on the saw.  Once you rip it, sand it flat on the "hollow side" with a belt sander.  Wear gloves. Bamboo will cut you like a razor if it lets loose.  Sand it flat until there is no more hollow space, the key here is to make a solid gluing surface.  While you are sanding the boo flat, you will make a razor edge on the sides.  Save yourself some trouble and sand the outer parts of the grass (bamboo) a little more than the middle making a tapering effect (this will help with tillering).  I like to keep the grass pretty thin, by that I mean use some common since because you dont want the boo backing to be thicker than the bow you are backing.  Keep in mind that you are only using the boo to back the bow, keeping the violated fibers of the real wood from lifting.  Some folks say that you need to make the nodes in the grass centered on the bow to prevent it from breaking, that rule of thought implies that the boo is part of the working limb, and it is most likely to break on the nodes.  Well, as long as you get the grass thin enough as to not overpower the back, this is not an issue in my opinion and is more of an ascetic appeal.  I glue the grass onto the bow with urac 185 (available at 3 rivers) and clamp it by wrapping it with shrink wrap or saran wrap (you know what I mean). This works really well.  After you wrap it, this is a good time to put any reflex or deflex into your stick (soon to be a bow). I do this with C clamps and blocks of wood.   Let it dry completely, and remove from the form if you are using one and take off the shrink wrap.  Continue building your bow. 

Craig
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 02:17:35 am by Ninja »

Offline Ninja

« Reply #182 on: February 17, 2014, 02:14:07 am »
That being said, I believe that a chased ring is way more stronger than a backed bow. The reason I say this is because on a backed bow, you are relying on a glue joint. On a chase ring bow, you are relying on the tree that has not broke in umteen years. 

Craig
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 02:17:13 am by Ninja »

Offline iowabow

« Reply #183 on: February 17, 2014, 01:36:46 pm »
We woke this morning in Iowa to an icy winter mix they closed school for Isaac and my college. So we have the day off and we are making preparation for this weeks sap flow.  Last year we just bought taps and used available buckets and pans which we are using again but also bought some real tap buckets with nice lids. Hope to keep the bugs and small tree parts from the sap collection. Craig gave use a turkey fryer to boil down the sap out side this time and we got food safe 5 gallon buckets to store the sap in so thinks should work out better this year.   
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #184 on: February 17, 2014, 04:23:04 pm »
Last tree taped

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #185 on: February 17, 2014, 11:09:22 pm »
Artificial maple syrup is better than it was 20 years ago...but it will NEVER be what the real stuff is.  Wow, I am so jealous of this lifeskill you and Isaac are learning!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #186 on: February 19, 2014, 07:03:06 am »
Artificial maple syrup is better than it was 20 years ago...but it will NEVER be what the real stuff is.  Wow, I am so jealous of this lifeskill you and Isaac are learning!
Thanks JW this has been on my list my whole life. I can remember as a kid reading about it and wanting to do it. Isaac is really into the process and he does the sap runs without even being ask.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #187 on: February 19, 2014, 07:48:16 am »
Hey Matt there was a wind fall (white oak?) 24 plus tree on the ground from last year. I was thinking this might be a good shake tree? Sounds like an easy process.

Offline Went tam

« Reply #188 on: February 19, 2014, 08:59:19 pm »
Sounds like fun to me.........white oak also makes great Morris chairs :)

Offline iowabow

« Reply #189 on: February 19, 2014, 10:16:41 pm »
Sounds like fun to me.........white oak also makes great Morris chairs :)
I am looking for a froe tomorrow in the antique shop. If not heck we can just  make one. Too much fun stuff and not enough time.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #190 on: February 20, 2014, 08:47:01 am »
I got an early  birthday gift from my daughter who lives in Colorado.  She and my wife conspired a surprise visit. Here are a couple pictures from yesterday.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #191 on: February 20, 2014, 09:47:22 am »
Nice,looks like winter up there. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #192 on: February 20, 2014, 12:35:26 pm »
Wow, John.  That is one gorgeous daughter, she doesn't look anything like you at all!   >:D

What a wonderful surprise, I bet your face hurts from all the grinning!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #193 on: February 20, 2014, 03:15:12 pm »
Nice,looks like winter up there. :)
  Pappy
It will never end.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #194 on: February 21, 2014, 12:06:14 am »
Wow, John.  That is one gorgeous daughter, she doesn't look anything like you at all!   >:D

What a wonderful surprise, I bet your face hurts from all the grinning!
yep very happy and very surprised and thank you.