Author Topic: The Iowan Path  (Read 314936 times)

Offline iowabow

Re: The Iowan Path
« Reply #240 on: March 17, 2014, 07:01:42 am »
Hey Matt sorry the weather was bad but forgot to tell you about the elm. I think it is a white elm. It has a straight trunk for about 30 feet. It grew in the bottom of the valley and is dead straight and 18 plus inches I think. This tree is competing in the canopy and will kill 2 real nice walnuts and younger white oaks so it has to go. Maybe it is red going to check the bark again today. Anyway this is a nice wind fall. It is going to be hard to drop do to its location.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #241 on: March 17, 2014, 07:08:15 am »
We will mill this guy for sure. We may have to wench the trunk out to get it to the ground. I don't like the idea of climbing and topping it. I will post a picture of it today when I go out to work.
Anyway go a lot more done on the mentor bow and it is now heat treated.
The pond is filled and I will start digging the new over flow tomorrow.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #242 on: March 17, 2014, 03:33:33 pm »
About half way done with the timber by mid day and had to switch to dam repair. The repair this fall worked great and the pond filled faster than I expected. I was going to dig a trench this spring with the tractor but it is too wet to move on the dam with it so all digging now is by hand. That's the news from Iowa and yes that is snow on the ground.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #243 on: March 20, 2014, 07:48:04 am »
 I host an event called  the "Iowa Jamboree" or Iajam. The Iajam is a 3d shoot for primitive archers and tradition archers. This year will be the 3rd annual Iajam. The dates for this years Iajam are Friday March 21 starting at 9:30am and Saturday the 22nd starting at 9:30am. Annette and I host this event here at the "farm"  and invite folks from across the county to participate. In addition to primitive archery there will be demonstrations on other primitive skills like flint knapping, spear throwing (atlatl), 3d archery shoot, and many other activities. If you have ever wanted to learn how to craft your own bows and arrows, wanted to make arrowheads or learn other primitive skills this is the place to be this weekend!  Also, this is the first weekend without snow! Very primitive camping available.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #244 on: March 20, 2014, 08:46:35 am »
Cool,looks like fun. Good luck with this,we need a lot more events like that around the country. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline iowabow

« Reply #245 on: March 20, 2014, 09:45:40 am »
Cool,looks like fun. Good luck with this,we need a lot more events like that around the country. :)
 Pappy
Thanks Pappy it has been a tough winter and all of the projects got piled up at the last minute due to the cold weather. Timber work, maple syrup , dam repair and Iajam all in the same week is a lot to handle. Our club has been a big help could not have made through the week without them. I am digging and cutting timber then setting targets today.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #246 on: March 20, 2014, 09:51:21 am »
Takes time to dig frost. So far I am winning on the dam. No rain for the next week so the pond should drain down and handle the next rain. This ditch will be the emergency over flow when the new pipe goes in. Just hoping no bad rains come before I get the pipe in.  There was no way to get a backhoe in so this was all dug by hand over the past three days.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #247 on: March 20, 2014, 11:53:08 am »
Check this one out Matt...Ash tree

Offline Went tam

« Reply #248 on: March 20, 2014, 03:07:50 pm »
Yeah....I'm drooling!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #249 on: March 22, 2014, 08:15:35 pm »
Here are some pictures from IAJAM 2014. We had a real nice gathering of folks and had a great time working on bows, eating great food, target shooting, flint knapping and throwing the atlatl. We had a number of PA members show up and a couple new guys as well. Pictured are Went tam, Silver John, Ninja, Beadman, Steve, Tim M, Tim J, J.B., me (iowabow), Annette, and Isaac. Annette made some really great food for everyone.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #250 on: March 22, 2014, 08:19:28 pm »
Here are a couple more from the course and the duck shoot across the pond.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #251 on: March 22, 2014, 08:52:57 pm »
The great Bow V.S.  Atlatl competition. You be the judge  ;)

Offline Silver John

« Reply #252 on: March 22, 2014, 10:46:43 pm »
I had a wonderful time  the last two days at IAJAM.  I learned a great deal about bow building, arrow making and arrow tuning.  Iowabow and Annette were wonderful hosts.  Thank you for hosting a memorable weekend.

Silver John

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #253 on: March 23, 2014, 12:05:48 am »
That looks like fun to me. Tis the season!  ;D   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chamookman

« Reply #254 on: March 23, 2014, 04:29:25 am »
Looks like a Great time ! Thanks for posting - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.