Author Topic: The Iowan Path  (Read 314910 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: The Iowan Path
« Reply #345 on: May 15, 2014, 05:01:51 pm »
"Another Shot in the Dirt" by John Bybee. Soon to be at a book store near you.  ;D ;D ;D

It's all about the chase anyway. Once you hit one then the work starts.  ;) dp ;)
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline iowabow

« Reply #346 on: May 16, 2014, 10:52:33 am »
This is an ABO point I made last night for JW's friend.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 10:55:34 am by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #347 on: May 16, 2014, 11:21:54 am »
Cool,some action. Nice point by the way.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline iowabow

« Reply #348 on: May 18, 2014, 01:42:15 am »
What a view

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #349 on: May 19, 2014, 10:21:08 pm »
Poor iowabow.  He didn't believe me when I told him how lusty the lungs are on our birds.  We had one bird ringing the bell an hour before sunset. He was sure it was right below us on the ridge.  After holding on a great set up on his roost site, we were so cold and miserable, we decided since we were so close to sunset and he had not marched uphill, the mountain was going to Mohammed.  We diddy-wopped over the ridge out of sight and boogeyed down low, skirted around on him and put a sneak over the toe of the ridge down in the valley.  A couple of yelps and it was obvious to me that he was still a ways off.  I figured maybe a hundred yards on a low bench roost site that used to hold birds years back.  It was getting too dark to hunt and we got out of the area without tipping our hand. 

Once back to the vehicle, we turned and drove up the road closer to the roost sight.  We pulled over and owl hooted to get a better line on the bird in the roost in order to make the next morning's hunt easier.  He lit up with a rusty pipes yodel that rang up and down the canyons.....across the road, thru a subdivision, and up the next ridge. 

When we were thinking he might be 100 yds off, he was still a half mile away.  I tell ya, those Merriams have electronic amplification in their voice boxes!  John and I were humiliated in all the usual ways and several very novel ways this last weekend.  We were "bosed" by birds with brains the size of a shelled pecan, REPEATEDLY.  But get this, we worked birds every time we went out.  We had set ups, we had chances, we had opportunities.  If we were shotgunning, everyone of us would have filled tags, but this was  Primitive Archer Forum Wild Turkey Camp (a.k.a. Witless Protection Program). 

Fun.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #350 on: May 22, 2014, 06:50:10 am »
JW thank very much for all the fun and laughs last week. This trip was one to remember for sure. Those bird do have mighty powerful lungs and it is all together different game in the Black hills. The biggest difference is that the way to move in on a bird is much more difficult because of the open and up and down nature of the  terrain. Now your going to have to come and hunt easterns in Iowa.     

I really like the moccasins Kyle made for me I wore them all day yesterday.

Below are a couple photos from the trip. Also on the way home my path crossed with Gun Doc and I dropped an osage limb off to him from Iowa.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 06:57:21 am by iowabow »

Offline iowabow

« Reply #351 on: May 22, 2014, 07:14:52 am »
The truth be know I did not get a bird for two reasons. One we could have gotten a lot more hunting done if JW wasn't always messing with his partial when we stopped on breaks (amazing dental work here  in the black hills). And two I should not have gone on a bird hunt with a bird lover (real conflict of interest here)!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #352 on: May 22, 2014, 07:34:50 am »
With all joking aside JW's work with the Black Hills Rapture Center is just short of Sainthood for  he and co - founder Maggy. Pictured is an owl that has only one functional wing. The rescue stories and public awareness/education is very important work for the conservation of these birds. Between the two of them they have done thousands of public events where the injured birds work as ambassadors connecting the public to the ongoing challenges of the raptors in the black hills. It is the dedication of folks like Maggy and JW that really make a difference and has real impacts in the black hills.

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #353 on: May 22, 2014, 09:31:08 am »
 ;D ;D ;D Love the pic of Jdub lovin on that decoy.  ;D ;D ;D freakin funny, dp

John, you forgot the third reason you didn't get a bird....you missed it on the first day you were there.  :o

again, "Another Shot in the Dirt" by John Bybee. Soon to be at a book store near you.  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 10:24:20 am by bowtarist »

Offline iowabow

« Reply #354 on: May 22, 2014, 10:04:15 am »
;D ;D ;D Love the pic of Jdub lovin on that decoy.  ;D ;D ;D freakin funny, dp

John, you forgot the third reason you didn't get a bird....you missed in on the first day you were there.  :o

again, "Another Shot in the Dirt" by John Bybee. Soon to be at a book store near you.  ;D ;D ;D
Did you have to bring that up again? Lol

Offline Josh B

« Reply #355 on: May 22, 2014, 10:20:50 am »
Wish I'd have been on the hunt with you fellas.   Looks like it was good time.  Thanks for the limb stave John!   I appreciate it.  Josh

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #356 on: May 22, 2014, 10:33:49 am »
 ;D ;D ;Dhehehe... ;) yup, i guess I did.  >:D

dp

Offline iowabow

« Reply #357 on: May 22, 2014, 11:40:38 am »
Ok check this in out while driving to the Black Hills for 65 dollars I picked up this vise and a super scale machinist  vise off craigslist. I was going to trade this machinist vise for a broad axe that was 40 dollars but Gun Doc took it off my hands for the same price . So With cash in hand the hunt continued for the broad axe. I checked every antique shop from CO to MO and turned up goose eggs only. When I got in Iowa I found on Craigslist a broad axe priced 35 dollars and it was on my way home. So the pole vise only ran me about 20 dollars.  These are great finds for the work we are a going to be doing.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #358 on: May 22, 2014, 11:45:21 am »
Looks like a fun week in beautiful country,bird or not. Not sure about the company
but I guess JW is a OK guy. ;) ;D ;D ;D Why does everyone pick on JW, Well I guess it is because he is such an easy target and takes it so good. :) Plus he throws it out pretty good his self. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #359 on: May 22, 2014, 11:47:15 am »
Very cool stuff, Greg gave me a vice just like that at the Classic,got it all cleaned up and mounted,works like a champ. nice find. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good