Author Topic: The Iowan Path  (Read 314867 times)

Offline iowabow

Re: The Iowan Path
« Reply #375 on: June 12, 2014, 06:51:22 am »
Paul came out the other day and dropped off his 3 point post hole digger. This should make building the shelter a much easier process.
I am coming to the end of my art show projects for the show in July and looking forward to finishing work on my mentor bow once that is done.
Pipe for the over flow was dropped off the other day so maybe that can be dug in by fall.
Another ongoing project is our bee operations. We now have 4 hives up and going after a 4 way split from a colony we bought this year. We ordered 2 queens (for hive 2 and 3) and introduced a frame of freshly laid eggs (for hive 4) and they produced a queen from the frame. I think we are just very lucky that the weather is cooperating with cool days and rain every couple of days. This is keeping the flowers in bloom. It is great to see all four hives packing pollen.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 07:05:55 am by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #376 on: June 12, 2014, 09:29:51 am »
Thats some nice looking stuff,sounds like you are going to be busy. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #377 on: June 12, 2014, 10:56:23 am »
I was going to ask how the propane conversion went, but then I saw the finished pottery. Duh.

Looking at that group of people, I come to the realization that I had made the same error of judgement that I have famously made all my life.  I got into Rendezvous and muzzleloading to attract women....FAIL!  Then Primitive Archery to attract women......FAIL! I am sensing a pattern here. but I think I can try again and maybe get it right.  I'll get into pottery.  Yeah, that's it, pottery!  And then to add an air of mystery and such, I will let my hair grow and let my beard get all "Pat Brennan".  That way I can be known in the art circles as JW, the hairy potter.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #378 on: June 12, 2014, 11:03:20 am »
Hey hairy potter, have you thought of going gay?  ::) Maybe it's just the women.  :-\
Nice pottery, John. Is the hedge hog a foot scrubber?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline iowabow

« Reply #379 on: June 12, 2014, 03:32:38 pm »
Hey hairy potter, have you thought of going gay?  ::) Maybe it's just the women.  :-\
Nice pottery, John. Is the hedge hog a foot scrubber?
Not going to speculate on the foot thing don't want JW to get any ideas.
@ JW yep my late wife was a potter and meet her in a pottery studio .....I fell in love and and would tell you more but it's just a dirty story! Hehe

Offline iowabow

« Reply #380 on: June 12, 2014, 05:19:08 pm »
Just finish another vertical piece for the art show. This one is made from willow and dogwood

Offline iowabow

« Reply #381 on: June 12, 2014, 05:25:27 pm »
Here is what the look like together
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 04:52:41 pm by iowabow »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #382 on: June 16, 2014, 06:59:31 am »
Beautiful work,you are making some really nice looking stuff,bet the folks that get to see it up close are loving it. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline iowabow

« Reply #383 on: June 16, 2014, 11:52:53 am »
Thanks Pappy. Here are a couple of pictures of the bee hives. I am being kinda risky with the 4 way split but the weather is good for now and better than last year.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #384 on: June 18, 2014, 06:00:20 am »
Fresh honey,yum. I have thought about starting that myself,just seems their
is a lot to it so I have put it off. I use to have a guy that set up 8 or 10 on the far end of my place and would share the honey and wax when he pulled them out,he would leave them until early to mid summer and then take them to east TN. the farmers paid him to set them up around their bean fields,they must do a lot of good for most any crop. :)
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline iowabow

« Reply #385 on: June 18, 2014, 10:24:16 am »
Fresh honey,yum. I have thought about starting that myself,just seems their
is a lot to it so I have put it off. I use to have a guy that set up 8 or 10 on the far end of my place and would share the honey and wax when he pulled them out,he would leave them until early to mid summer and then take them to east TN. the farmers paid him to set them up around their bean fields,they must do a lot of good for most any crop. :)
Pappy
I am going to have to see if anyone needs hives setup. Sounds like a great way to make a little extra cash.

Went tame mentored JB's bow building and it went great. I went over to Matt's house yesterday and helped on the final tiller. We settled for a bow at around 45-48 pounds but amazing in other was that I will let Matt tell you about.

Don Case

« Reply #386 on: June 18, 2014, 11:47:23 am »
That looks like a really cool vice. :D :D Do you have any info or more (closer) pictures. Is it normal vice mounted vertically or is it made like that? :) :)

Offline iowabow

« Reply #387 on: June 18, 2014, 12:31:54 pm »
That looks like a really cool vice. :D :D Do you have any info or more (closer) pictures. Is it normal vice mounted vertically or is it made like that? :) :)
it is normal vice mounted vertically

Offline iowabow

« Reply #388 on: June 26, 2014, 11:37:28 pm »
Art show is just about done. Went for a walk tonight and Annette took this nice picture of me with this really old Osage she likes.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #389 on: June 27, 2014, 05:25:34 am »
No that is a nice old tree,cool picture.  :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good