Author Topic: The Iowan Path  (Read 314876 times)

Offline iowabow

Re: The Iowan Path
« Reply #420 on: July 10, 2014, 05:52:29 pm »
On another note JW and all you other bee keepers my bees just hate me. I get anywhere near them they go crazy now. I guess I have invaded there territory just too many times. Even with the bees suit they sting the heck out of the gloves. I guess I am going to have to smoke them just to take a peek through the top cover.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Chas

« Reply #421 on: July 23, 2014, 06:46:01 pm »
Hey, just wanted to say hi, I live in Newton and I've been getting into primitive archery over the last year. Spent some time last week down at MOJam and I've really got the bug now.  :laugh: Glad to see there are some other people in the area, your get togethers look like a blast - as well as your IAJam event!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #422 on: July 23, 2014, 09:25:39 pm »
Iowabow's group is unofficially known as S.O.A.B.O. (pronounced So Abo) for Sons of Archery Bo'dark Originals.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #423 on: July 24, 2014, 11:29:39 pm »
Hi Chas I will keep you up dated on the activities here and you are welcome to join us at our next get together.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #424 on: July 24, 2014, 11:31:26 pm »
Iowabow's group is unofficially known as S.O.A.B.O. (pronounced So Abo) for Sons of Archery Bo'dark Originals.
JW is a nomad!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #425 on: August 03, 2014, 05:44:54 am »
Finally back to working on the shelter project and the pond dam project. This week I will install an overflow pipe at the dam. So all the logs that were left at the dam had to be removed. Annette and I had time yesterday to move most of the large ones. Only a couple small piles remain.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #426 on: August 05, 2014, 08:16:03 am »
Why do racoons lick the post on my porch? Every night for a week .... just weird. We started seeing foot prints on the post so we set up a trail camera.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #427 on: August 05, 2014, 11:45:37 am »
It's the raccoon version of being a window licker. He's special, leave him alone.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #428 on: August 05, 2014, 03:24:22 pm »
Was going to take a canoe ride but.....Holy buckets of snakes!!!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #429 on: August 06, 2014, 05:55:13 pm »
After a year of working on the pond the project is just about to the end. Fish and wildlife folks came out and shot a level line for me today. We have a mini excavator on reserve for next week. Next week the drain will go in and the dam will be leveled with dirt. This year's work consisted of removing 50 or so trees, a repair to the breach in the dam, digging an emergency over flow and of course the building of the road to the pond. Wow it has been a hard year.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #430 on: August 06, 2014, 06:07:29 pm »
Was going to take a canoe ride but.....Holy buckets of snakes!!!

...aka - Raw and as yet unprocessed bow backings!

OneBow

Offline iowabow

« Reply #431 on: August 13, 2014, 07:49:31 am »
Hope you guys are not too bored with pond pictures by now. Anyway today is a big day. We lay the tile in for the main drain and raise the center of the dam (the section that washed out during some past rain event). The center needs to come up about a foot across the center. The mini excavator was dropped off last night and I had a chance to get use to the controls as I worked in the barrow pit. After today the pond project will come to a close.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #432 on: August 13, 2014, 07:54:59 am »
Looks like it is all coming together,wished I one of those for a few days,I could find all kind of stuff to tear up with that.  ;) :) :) :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline iowabow

« Reply #433 on: August 13, 2014, 08:21:46 am »
Looks like it is all coming together,wished I one of those for a few days,I could find all kind of stuff to tear up with that.  ;) :) :) :)
  Pappy
You would surprised how cheap it was to rent. I checked around at rental cost, most wanted 300 dollars for 24 hrs but you could run it only for 8 hrs plus 50 insurance and delivery and pick up between 150-200. Wow very costly but true value rented it to me for 210 for a full 24 with delivery and they took a certificate of insurance from my home owners agent. So the cost was about 1/3.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #434 on: August 13, 2014, 08:23:56 am »
Jumping between the loader and excavator 1 guy can get tons of work done in an hour.